Chapter 13. Crybaby

Magsimula sa umpisa

I grabbed Ayush's arm before he could move. I asked him what was going on and he told me to just ignore it.

"She is not my mother!" Ved shouted.

His father grabbed his arm but he yanked it away and stomped off. Ayush ran after him and I just stared at his retreating form. What just happened? Ved's father apologized to the people and consoled his weeping wife. I think that's what she was. They soon left the store.

I changed back into my school uniform and after thanking the employees, went out. Why was Ved so angry? I got to our meeting spot and waited for others to come. That idiot Ved ruined all the mood. Whatever was the issue, he shouldn't have have talked to his father like that.

I would have gotten beaten into a pulp if I even raised my voice to my parents accidentally. Spoiled brat.

"Come on Ved. Don't cry anymore." I heard Ayush's voice. Hm? Ved was crying? How could I miss this? I followed the voice and saw them standing behind a huge standee. Ayush had his right hand on Ved's shoulder while Ved sniffled and nodded to whatever Ayush was saying.

If I had a camera, I would have taken a picture. Why was he crying? I thought nothing could hurt him. I made a sound like camera shutter closing and opening. They both looked in my direction and Ved's eyes widened.

"Caught you!" I yelled and mimicked clicking pics like a reporter. Ayush told me to cut it off but I continued. I won't get this chance again. Ved stomped towards me and pushed me. Ayush caught me before I fell.

"You jerk. Why did you push me?" I yelled.

"Are you making fun of me?" he gritted his teeth.

"Stop it both of you!" Ayush intervened.

"Ved is a crybaby, crybaby~~
Cry, cry, crybaby~~~" I sang and mimicked him.

He punched me and Ayush clasped his mouth. He looked at us in horror. Ved's eyes widened and he realized what he did.

"Shit. It was your fault. Look don't cry now... Shit yaar. Sandhya I am sor-" he began but I cut him off.

This was it. I punched him back. We got into a fight and Ayush ran off to call the teacher when he couldn't stop us.

"You moron. You think you will get away this time. You hit me!" I kicked him and he tried to get me off of him.

"Ved!"

He stopped his punch mid-air when he heard his father's voice. He pulled Ved off and his mother helped me up. He kept his head low unable to look his father in his eyes.

"I thought I taught you better than this. Hitting a girl? So shameful," his father spat.

Ved glanced at me and winced. Ayush arrived with teacher and she almost fainted.

"Apologise to her," his father commanded. Ved bit his bottom lip. He looked at me and I challenged him. I dare you. He read my thoughts and exhaled.

"Sorry," he said in a low voice.

"Say it louder!" his father boomed. Ved flinched and I narrowed my eyes at him. He was afraid? I wasn't used to seeing him scared.

"I am sorry Sandhya. I shouldn't have hit you," he said and by his tone, he really meant it. Why now? Was he that scared of his father?

"I am sorry too Sandhya. For my son's behaviour. It is bad to hit girls," his mother said and Ved glared at her.

"No I should be sorry. It was my fault. I started it. I made fun of him first and that's why he hit me," I said and mentally face-palmed. Why was I saying this? Shut up already.

Everyone stared at me like I was speaking some alien language.

"If it's not okay to hit a girl, it shouldn't be okay to hit a boy too," I shrugged. Oh my god. I need to keep my mouth close. I mentally kicked myself.

"Such a smart kid. Learn something from her," Ved's father told him and he just stared at me blankly. We were taken to a clinic and bandaged up. I was proud of my bruises. I stood up for myself.

I proudly flaunted them and smirked at Ved. He scoffed.

"Don't think I am going to leave you alone after the act you just pulled. You like to be the good person all the time, don't you? You will regret it one day," he hissed and left.

What an idiot! I just helped him and he threatened me? I should applaud him. But, why was he so angry at his mother? Mother.... Hold up. That's not his mother. As much as I remember, his mother lived overseas. I have seen her at Parent Teacher meetings sometimes.

Then who was this woman? She was definitely not his mom. Whatever. Why was I thinking about this? I should worry about myself. How was I going to explain all my injuries to my parents? Great. I enjoyed picnic too much. Too much.

"That's my seat." Ved pushed me as I tried to sit beside Ayush. I was going to push him back but remembered our earlier fight. I didn't have enough strength for another round.

I wonder what he will do now after I decided to fight him. Ayush looked at me apologetically and I sat beside a girl. We started chatting and the whole ride I kept thinking about that woman. Why? Mind your own business. My curious mind had other plans though.

I asked Ayush about Ved's mother the next day. He took me to an empty classroom and made me promise, I wouldn't tell anyone. I nodded my head and after minutes of thinking, he began.
He wasn't sure if he should tell me or not. I pinky promised.

My face paled when he told me Ved's mother died last year and not many people knew about it. The woman we saw yesterday was Ved's stepmother. That's why he was so angry. I got it now.

I hated him but also felt sad for him. No one is happy to lose their parents. I wouldn't want to. Ayush made me promise him again that I would keep it a secret. I assured him and we went to the class. I kept stealing glances at Ved imagining what must be going through his mind.

"What are you looking at?" Ved shouted.

"Jerk," I said and got back to doing my homework. It saved time to do it in school during free time. That way I got more time to play at home.

He picked up my notebook and ripped off some pages. My eyes widened and I tried to stop him. He laughed evilly and I began crying. Ayush came for my help and picked up the torn papers. I was about to complete my assignment.

Ved yelled at Ayush for helping me. Ayush was stuck between us. He couldn't decide which side he was on. I felt bad for him and cried more. I picked up my bag and ran out of the classroom.

That idiot. There was no use to sympathize with him. He was a jerk and would always be one.