Chapter 12. Click it!

Start from the beginning

"Goodnight, Pa," I said and closed his room's door.

I watched the movie and played some games. It was 3 am now and I was still on the sofa munching on bits of popcorn and trying to kill the terrorist who suddenly appeared from my right. In the game of course.

Ping!

I paused the game and checked my phone for the message.

Nikhil: You awake?

Me: Yup. How did you know?

Nikhil: You are online. Duh.

Oh right. I forgot to log out. I messaged him back asking why he was awake.

Nikhil: Doing assignments :(

Me: You can do them later in the day. It's Sunday!

Nikhil: Yeah I know. Got to go to play later. Won't have strength after that to do homework. That's why I am doing it now.

Me: Then what did you do today?

Nikhil: Busy running errands for mom.

Me: Right. Okay then. Ttyl. Continue with your work. I am busy killing some terrorists. You disturbed my gameplay btw.

Nikhil: Not sorry. Gn Sandhya.

Me: Good night, sleep tight.

I replied and he went offline. I logged out myself and suddenly felt the urge to log in again. After thinking for few minutes, I logged in and my thumb hovered over search button.

Click it. Don't. Click it. Don't. Oh heck with it. I clicked and Ved's profile showed on the top.

17 mutual friends. Haha, so funny. I checked his profile and read every detail in his bio. With every word, I felt more and more inferior.

I checked his profile pic. He was standing on a cliff with his back towards the camera, looking at the setting sun. How much I wished to jump in the picture and kick him off.

I scrolled more and mostly the pics were about basketball tournaments and parties. I stopped at one pic. Ayush was in it. Ved had his arm around his shoulders while Ayush had his arms crossed across his chest.

They looked younger, maybe around 15 or 16. I was jealous. Ayush was smiling so naturally. His babyface hadn't changed much.

Now he always frowned whenever he looked at me. We are friends too. Were. Why was I depressing myself over some photos?

They never welcomed me in their friend circle in school. Ayush did but he also drifted away. I considered him as my best friend then. Why did they both hate me so much?

Why did I hate Ved so much? Because he bullied me? Yes. Then why did I offer him to be friends at Parth's party? Because I was afraid? Yes. Why? I don't know.

He was so intimidating. I never liked people who intimidated me. Add to that his bullying. My dislike turned to hate and I guess he hated me since the moment he saw me.

I started feeling nostalgic as the past memories flooded my mind and played like I had a projector in front of my eyes. Something wet rolled down my face.

Why was I crying? For someone who didn't even want to talk to me? Past was past. I was an idiot. I just spent 1 hour crying over my broken friendship.

I logged out after cursing Ved. He was the root of all the problem. Only if he hadn't gotten in the same college as mine I would have been at peace now. Wait a minute. He wasn't bullying me nowadays.

Why? Do you want him too? No! Of course not.

It was strange though. I thought after recognizing me he would make sure to make me suffer everyday.

He didn't. Not yet except for hitting me with basketball. I should be happy. College life was busy as it is. Moreover, he was an athlete too. Yes. Keep yourself busy Ved and, Ayush, you duffer, continue ignoring me.

I don't care. I am going to live my life peacefully. I had enough good friends then why should I care about them? I won't.

I switched off the TV and went to my room. From tomorrow onwards, I was going to focus on my friends and studies. That's it. No more stressing about Ved and his empty threats. No more Ayush and getting sad over his ignorance. No more!

"Good night Sandhya," I said to myself and fell asleep. I dreamed about the time when I was in 4th grade and had just come 1st in my class. Ved's expression was priceless.

He thought I couldn't outrank him. I did. Finally. In your face, Ved. Now what were you going to do? I should have known better. That's when he took his bullying to another level. We were kids.

Was it possible to have that much hatred when you are a kid? That's scary.

My dream turned into a nightmare and I woke up with a sour mood. Ved, you jerkface. Let me sleep in peace atleast.

I huffed and got up. I only managed to sleep for 3 hours. I decided to take a walk. I changed into my track pants and went to the park.

I rounded the park's perimeter four times and got exhausted. I rested myself on a bench while some people continued with their exercises. I realized I was missing something. Oh right. Self defense classes. I would talk to dad today.

I could already imagine myself kicking Ved's ass if he tried to bully me again. I would keep a foot on his prone body and laugh evilly. That would make such a nice picture. With that motivation, I got up and made two more rounds. Ved could be useful sometimes.

Wait for me Ved, I will catch upto you soon.