Smores and Family

(I love this song, you can listen to it, I believe it goes well with this chapter and the tone I was trying to set. I hope you guys like it and click right to look at the picture!) 

Yesterday after Keisha and Timothy left, I thought on the subject we had spoken about. 

As I patted my face dry and looked in the mirror I knew it was the right thing to do, but I was going to go about it differently by telling Jacob first. Then maybe he could be with me when I spoke to my family about it.

 I know it'll be hard to share this with him, hopefully, he wouldn't hate my mom.

That's why today when he asked me over the phone if we could meet up and hang out, I said yes even though I had work that needed to be done. 

He told me to dress casual which was why I decided to wear some light jean shorts and a grey tank top that had Nirvana spelled in pink big letters across the top of it. I pulled on my white sneakers before applying on my makeup. After I finally got done I went to the kitchen and grabbed some orange juice. 

As I sipped on some of it in the kitchen, I heard two hard knocks on the door. 

Sharon had come home late last night with Kevin, and Calvin was at his friend's house for a sleepover today, so I didn't know who it could've been.

When I opened the door, I saw Timothy and Keisha smile at me. 

"Aww, hi," I said to them as I took off my headscarf.

"Oh, you're about to go somewhere," she said as she held Timothy in a gray wrapped baby carrier. It was this long piece of cloth that wrapped the baby close to her.

 "Yeah, my boyfriend is coming over so we can go hang out." I said to her. 

She raised her eyebrows and I could see her mind thinking a hundred things as she sat down.

"Hangout, what are you, teenagers?" she scoffed as if it was a joke. 

I rolled my eyes as I sat by her. 

"Not trying to be rude, but I don't care what you think, because you haven't even met him yet...he's a really sweet guy." I said to her as I grabbed my brush from the table and brushed my hair into a high curly puff with a bang. 

"Well, what does that mean Kendra...it sounds like he doesn't have any money." she said as she kissed Timothy on the cheek.

"Money isn't everything Keisha...I'm more concerned about his heart than his bank account." I said rolling my eyes, wondering why she was saying this.

 It wasn't like her husband Marcus was a millionaire, neither did I think he should be, but she was forgetting to look in the mirror at herself. 

"Well, I'm just saying love doesn't pay the bills, honey, have fun, but be realistic."

"If I want your input I'd ask you...and I didn't, what did you come over for?" I asked growing annoyed at her assumptions.

I hated when people, especially people I called friends and family would judge someone before even trying to get know the person to whom their talking about. 

No Jacob wasn't rich, he seemed to live off his land and resources he had and that was alright with me. That was one of the things I loved about him the most. He didn't try to impress me with fancy cars or spend a fortune on me as many other guys would have, but he showed me how to find happiness in the small things and that you didn't have to have the entire world to be content. And to me, that was worth more than any amount of money and fancy cars.