Chapter Thirty Eight

Jax's PoV

The witch was strong.

Somewhere between the fight I had managed to switch sides with her, having me now standing next to Annabelle and on slightly higher ground. I was standing between her and my mate, who was still laying lifeless on the patio floor, without showing a single sign of waking anytime soon. I could feel the body heat coming from her, confirming that she was still alive, but it did little to calm my nerves down.

"Just give up wolf" the witch hissed at me, her black eyes piercing into my soul as she observed my stance. "There is no way you can beat me; you can barely stand as it is" she laughed as she flicked the daggers blade in my direction again, acting almost casual in the action.

Unfortunately, the witch was right, I was starting to struggle. Although we had both caused some damage to the other, I had seriously underestimated her speed and heeling capabilities. On two separate occasions I had managed to clip a claw or a tooth on one of her key arteries, but on both occasions there just seemed to flow this black ooze which quickly disappeared as her body healed the wound.

She had gotten one good hit on me with the blades edge, tearing at my underside, causing blood to flow freely out of the wound and cause my coat to matt in clumps. Thankfully my black coat was able to camouflage most of the blood, but I think she knew, even without the quantity of blood on show, that she had caused me fatal damage.

But I wasn't going to give up, not for anyone. Annabelle was my mate and under my protection, if anyone was going to defend her, it was going to be me. I drew strength from deep within me, my wolf helping out, and I coiled for another attack from the witch.

Just when I was about to spring, intending to slash at her throat in the hopes that her body would be unable to heal from a more deadly wound, the witch's facial expression changed. Gone was her fearless and ruthless expression as she zoned in on me for her kill. She was now looking at something behind me, panic evident in her features.

She dropped the dagger she had been desperately clinging on to throughout our whole fight, letting it drop to the floor beneath her as it clanged against the paved floor.

I frowned, confused by her sudden change in arrogance, before shifting my head slightly to the right so that I could see what had caught her attention without taking my eyes from her. The last thing I needed was for this to be some kind of trick and for her to suddenly jump back into the fight without me being ready.

I looked out of the corner of my eye, sceptical about there being anything there, but when I saw a blinding light I couldn't help but turn fully around so that I could take the whole scene in.

My mate, who was only moments was virtually lifeless on the floor, was now floating slightly above the ground. Her eyes shone a translucent moon stone colour and her skin was radiating a golden glow reminding me of the sun on a warm summer's day. Her hair was being whipped in all direction around her face, like it had a mind of its own, and she was staring at the witch with unadulterated rage.

What the...

"Sorceress Isabella, you have been found guilty of violating multiple of the covens seven sacred vows and is hereby called upon by the High Courts of Witchcraft for punishment and execution" she stated.

Annabelle didn't sound like herself at all, there was a slight edge to her tone of voice, making me think that the person inside my little mates body right now, wasn't my little mate at all. She lifted her hand up from where it was resting at her side and raised it high, the earlier knife wound that was there now vanishing with every passing second.

Just then figures made from dust and fog emerged from the ground around us, advancing on Sorceress Isabella who started screaming and begging for mercy. The figures though reacted little to her cry's and pleas for help as they all grabbed onto a part of her clothing or body and swarmed her. Within seconds she was surrounded, so much so that I couldn't even make out her figure anymore amongst the debris and mist and within a blink of an eye. she was gone.