Chapter six

Annabelle's POV

I was surprised when we pulled up to the building that was supposedly the local hospital. I had only ever seen a hospital on the television, when Natalie would watch her soap dramas, but I thought that the shows were based on a little bit of the truth. The building in front of me looked nothing like the tall skyscrapers that I had seen on the telly, this building just looked like any other building in the area. The only thing that distinguished this building as the hospital was the sign that was illuminated at the top of the door stating that it was 'Crescent Moon hospital'.

What a weird name for a hospital.

"Are you ready to go my little angel?" Jax asked as he held the car door open for me, his arms outstretched and ready to carry me into the waiting room.

I nodded my head, indicating that I was ready and let out a little squeal as he lifted me into the air before settling me into his arms bridal style. He smiled down at my reaction before heading over to the entrance of the hospital, the warmth from his chest keeping the chill from the outside wind at bay. "Now the doctor may have to ask you some questions which you will have to answer with your voice" he explained as he continued the walk from the car to the front entrance. "Just be as honest as you can and she will get the examination over and done with as quick as possible okay?"

I looked up him, as I felt the worry and anxiety of having to meet new people resurface. My panic was probably clear as day on my face but as I look up and saw Jax's encouraging expression I supressed the panic as much as I could before slowly nodding my head. If I wanted to get better then this was the only way to do it. The sooner I get in there and get this over with, the sooner I could leave. Jax smiled down at me in encouragement as he nodded his head, making sure he didn't jostle me to much as he went to open the main door.

When he walked through the open door the first thing I noticed was the smell, the smell of cleaning products and antiseptic that was so strong it almost burned my nose. I sneezed from the intensity of it and rubbed my nose, god how was Jax dealing with such a strong smell?

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it" he muttered, as if he could read my thoughts and I smiled shyly up at him.

As I looked around and took in my surroundings I started to notice that more and more people, both workers and patients, were starting to stare at us. If I was being honest, I was surprised that this many people were up and about at this hour. It was way into the early hours of the morning, more towards dawn than dusk, yet there were at least fifteen to twenty people here mulling about the place.

"They're staring" I whispered up to Jax as I shrunk further into his chest, needing the security of his arms to battle my usual fear and paranoia that always arose when people payed attention to me.

He grinned down at me and brought me closer to his chest, probably hearing the erratic pounding of my heartbeat as it tried to jump out of my rib cage. "The sound of your voice is like music to my ears" he muttered as he kissed the top of my head, his action causing a slight blush to creep along my cheeks just like earlier.

Jax chuckled but otherwise didn't comment on my reaction as we continued through the reception area and into a long corridor. "They're probably just staring because they're not used to seeing me with anyone like this" he explained as he gestured to me, or more likely, the situation we were currently in.

I stared at him in confusion, not understanding what he was talking about.  Seeing him like what? Was he not usually the kind of person to take someone in and help them in their time of need? I found that highly doubtful, but didn't comment on it, Jax had a kind and gentle aura about him that I just couldn't explain. It was the main reason why I trusted him so much, he made me feel calm and safe, it was the first time in such a long time that someone made me feel like that.