Chapter 26: Abigail takes over the vlog

As August was coming to an end, I was struggling with the feeling that I had decided to take a gap year and not go back to classes. I scared the bejesus out of me since I had never considered postponing school before. I had always been an excellent student and actually loved to study, and I still loved my courses but I knew that my focus had been lacking lately.

I had thrown myself into my blog and everyone seemed to have enjoyed my ‘Me’ post a whole lot. It somehow gave me an aura of confidence. I wasn’t quite sure why. I didn’t want to eliminate school entirely, so I had signed up for a photography class starting next week. Maybe I did it to create some sort of normality and a feeling that the summer vacation was indeed over.

It had been the best summer I had ever had. I had gotten to travel with my parents and Emma and I had ventured out for our first adventure alone. Luke had finally found himself again and I had gotten to see him twice. I had missed Nate horribly the time we were apart but somehow I had forgotten all about that miserable feeling and the last month of cozy nights in and funny date nights had overshadowed it.

Nate had been quite busy this last week though and I had watched as he felt more and more poorly before finally succumbing to some sort of virus. Thus, I was on my way with hot soup as the loving girlfriend I was.

I locked myself into his flat and found him cuddled up in bed with way to many pillows and his laptop. Despite his pale complexion his eye lit up as I entered his room. I went to give him a hug and could feel that he had a fever.

“I told you to be careful and wear enough clothes,” I said quietly.

“It’s still summer,” Nate protested and his voice was hoarse.

I shook my head at him and planted my palm on his forehead. Yeah, he was way too hot.

“You’re too hot,” I mumbled.

“Thanks, you too,” Nate said teasingly.

I smiled and pressed my lips to his temple. I got up and returned with a tall glass of water and a wet compress to his forehead.

“Do you want me to do anything else? I’ve brought soup. My mom made it last week when I visited her and she said it was just to warm up again.”

Nate looked at me with puppy dog eyes and I knew he was about to ask something that I would not like.

“What?”

“Can you vlog for today?” he said, almost in a whisper his voice being so strained.

“No, Nate. I love you but… seriously? It’s one thing being in the background or chatting with you when you film but now you want me to take actual charge of it? I wouldn’t even know how.”

“Turn on and talk,” he said and smiled at me.

I rolled my eyes.

“I’ve never missed a day…”

“Fine! I’ll do it. You better be thankful that you’re sick otherwise I would have smacked you,” I said, not meaning that I would actually have hit him but smacked him on the arm or the head.

He smiled at me with that charming crooked smile and pointed to his desk where the vlogging camera laid.

I picked it up and pressed record and pointed it at Nate.

“Hey, what is up, you guys?” My impression of Nate’s greeting was terrible and I didn’t sound like him at all but Nate curled up from laughter. I turned the camera to face me.

“Hi,” I said and suddenly felt very self-conscious. I was in my puppy onsie that Nate had given me as a gift from Italy. I wasn’t quite sure what had made it especially Italian but I loved it very much and it was so soft. I had a clean face and my hair hang messy around my shoulders.