22 | THUNDERSTRUCK

Start from the beginning

"She's doing fine. Her, the dog, and the goats. Look, you should go over there and talk to her. Fix whatever the problem is between you."

"Why? Did she say something?" He tried to feign nonchalance, as if he really didn't care, but he was sure Flynn could see right through him.

Damn. Flynn wanted to tell him she was about to be gone out of his life for good. But he couldn't. All he could do was encourage him and hoped it took. "No. But she doesn't seem the type to make the first move, so you should."

"Oh, take my word. She can make the first move when she wants. Besides, I've already tried to reason with her. She'll be back on Monday and then we'll hash it out."

No, she won't. "I see my truck's gone, so I guess Ophelia's left already."

"Yeah. She hightailed it out of here pretty quick, something about too much testosterone in this house. You still want to go to the steak house?"

"Sure, if you do." He lifted his head to the heavens and eyed the dark clouds rolling in. "We should leave soon before the bottom falls out."

Miles Landry rolled off Stella and gasped for air

Miles Landry rolled off Stella and gasped for air. It'd been too long since he'd had sex but damn if it wasn't just as good as he remembered.

She ran her palm across his chest. "You okay?"

He laid his hand on top of hers. "Better than okay. You?"

"I'm downright giddy."

"Good to know I haven't lost my touch."

"Well, I don't have a before and after comparison, but based on this one performance, I'd give you a gold star."

She giggled and Miles loved the sound. He needed a woman with patience in case his execution took longer than normal. Thankfully, it had not. Turned out, the thought of making love with Stella caused everything to work like he was twenty again.

"I have a confession."

"Oh no. That's four words a woman never wants to hear right after sex."

He chuckled. "Nothing bad. It's been awhile since I've slept with anyone, so I was nervous. Crazy, huh? At my age, you'd think I'd have the bedroom stuff down."

"Take my word, you have it down." She laughed again.

Damn, he liked this woman. A lot. And he sure as hell didn't want this to be a onetime thing. "I like you, Stella, and I don't want you to stop seeing me because of this St. Clair case."

She sat up and propped the pillow behind her back, then pulled the sheet up to cover her breasts.

"You've found her, haven't you?"

He sat up, too, and took her hands in his. He could see it, how much she cared for the girl. Clearly, she had been more than just a housekeeper. A maternal figure, maybe a friend, trying to protect Dove from the likes of Marion. "I think so." What came next caught him off guard.