11 | IT'S A PLUS ONE

Zoya arranged soap bars into stacks while Mariana admired the final artwork for the wrappers

"These are so perfect, Zoya. I hate that I can't pay you for them. But if my business catches on, I promise I will."

Zoya considered drawing and painting a hobby and never expected to make money from it even though Dad had claimed she could. When she was twelve, he'd entered some of her work in Baton Rouge's Art competition, and the ribbons she'd won got her a showing in the Zimmer Gallery. It made her happy for people to like her work, but she hated the promotion. Interviews with TV and radio stations made her uncomfortable.

"I don't want you to pay."

"Are you kidding? Do you know how much package design costs? A fortune." She giggled. "But I can barter with a lifetime of free soap."

"I need a favor."

She raised an eyebrow. "Now we're talking. What?"

"The funeral home is having a banquet to celebrate their golden anniversary. I need a dress."

"Formal or church fancy?"

"Church."

"I have just the thing. Still has the tag on it. I bought it right before I got pregnant and never wore it. After Tommy was born, I got back to my pre-baby weight but increased a dress size! Anyway, I've kept it all these years thinking I'd get back into it, but that ain't happening." Mariana put the stacks into baskets and carried them to a nearby shelf. "It's baby blue. It'll look beautiful with your skin tone. When we're done, you can try it on."

"Okay. Is Roman Tommy's dad?"

Mariana gasped and widened her eyes. "Why do you think that?"

"You didn't want me to mention him, so I thought... never mind, it's none of my business. I shouldn't have asked."

Mariana sat again.  "It was a stupid request. I mean, if Roman plans to make Arcadia his home, sooner or later, he'll find out. I just wanted to put it off as long as possible." She took a deep breath. "How are things going with him? It's been what? Three weeks since the truce?"

"Yeah. He doesn't talk about me leaving anymore, but he doesn't say much of anything."

"Well, that house has to feel like a tomb."

"I don't know how to talk to him." It never bothered her previously, or with anyone else, and Zoya didn't readily understand why she suddenly felt the need to want to talk to him, with him.

"Ask about his day. The construction. If he needs help with painting? Tell him about your day. Maybe something that happened at work." She tapped her chin. "Oh, here's an idea.  If you can invite someone to the banquet, ask him."

"Why?"

"You said Joshua keeps asking you out, so if you go alone, he'll probably arrange for you to sit together. Plus, doing something social with Roman might help your relationship."