2 | SURPRISE, SURPRISE

From her workshop  window, Mariana saw dust billowing before the car came into view

From her workshop window, Mariana saw dust billowing before the car came into view. Usually, her friend Zoya, walked through the woods, but today, she had groceries to pick up. Zoya had claimed she hated grocery shopping, but after seeing her reaction to crowds, she wondered if that was the case. As hard as Zoya tried to look the part of a rebel, she couldn't pull it off. More like a teenager playing dress-up. Even the ring dangling from her small straight nose couldn't offset the big innocent brown eyes that dominated her face.

She revealed nothing, but Mariana thought the girl was on the run from something or someone. She decided once they were friends for a while, Zoya would be more forthcoming, but it'd been over three years, and the only thing Mariana had learned was that Zoya was unusual and had a good heart.

Didn't know what connection Zoya had to Miss Charamel, and the old woman never said, but when she got sick, Zoya cared for her until the end.

Once Mariana discovered the gifted girl's artistic ability, she'd asked for help with packaging her soaps and lotions. All she needed was a break to get the attention of a major chain, and the right presentation could be the key. Making the stuff was fun and all, but she really wanted her own garage one day, and to do that, she had to save money. She was helping Jerry LeBlanc to restore his old '63 Buick Riviera, but she only had so much time to herself. At least with her own garage, she could afford a babysitter or a nanny.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of Tommy as he burst through the trees, stick sword in hand, towel cape pinned around his neck, fighting an imaginary foe. The child was the love of her life and she was thankful he was happy playing with common things, but he wouldn't always be six. As he got older, he'd want what other kids had, and she wouldn't be able to afford them, unless she got her business off the ground—or accepted the marriage proposal from a man she didn't love.

Not a single thing wrong with Andrew. He worked with a thriving insurance business and got along well with her son. Many in town speculated Tommy was his, but he wasn't. Andrew had been interested in her since high school, but they'd never dated until six months ago, and he'd proposed on the first date. Wasn't fair to keep putting him off, but she couldn't accept. Not yet.

Zoya pushed open the door and strolled inside. She never wore anything but black, a harsh contrast to her delicate features. Despite that, she was pretty, but didn't seem to care about her appearance, which was another incongruity since she worked at making others look good.

"What's up?"

Zoya shoved a folder forward. "Here are the drawings."

Mariana thumbed through them and stared at her friend with tears in her eyes.

Zoya's shoulders drooped. "If you don't like them, I can do more."

Mariana rushed from behind the table and threw her arms around the artist. "You're a genius. This is exactly what I had in mind."