Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

Niall’s POV

“Shit,” we say in unison after I read Jamie’s text aloud to the boys. We were backstage in our dressing room, getting ready to go to some club called Ultrabar. Just perfect, I’ve been practically obsessing over a fourteen-year-old all day. If we actually wanted to date... How would the fans react? What would management say?

“Well this is fun. Niall and I can be partners in crime- the cougar catcher and the pedo bear,” Harry smiles. “Maybe we’ll even get our own TV show!”

“I’m just as surprised as you are Ni,” Liam sympathizes. “She really acts and looks mature for her age.”

“Is it bad that I’m a bit more preoccupied with the disappointment of not being able to see her again tonight than the age issue?”

“Think of it this way- even if she was here, you wouldn’t be able to get some. Because it would be illegal,” Louis states. I frown, that’s true... Don’t get me wrong, I would definitely respect Jamie if it were legal. But I’m a boy with needs.

“You should probably text her back soon. She’s probably freaking out just as much as us. Probably more,” Zayn reminds me. I run my hands through my hair and groan.

“What do I do?” I ask no to no one in particular.

“Niall... I hate to say this, but is it even worth it?” Liam asks. I turn my head sharply, fighting back a glare as I stare at him. Jamie and I, we just clicked. I haven’t felt this close to someone I had just met since I was put with the lads. How could I let this go? Before I can open my mouth to reply, Liam continues. “I mean, think about it. Management would have a right fit if they found out. You wouldn’t be able to keep it a secret from them, and they would make you keep it from the fans. You wouldn’t be able to go out in public-as a couple or otherwise. You know the rumors our girls start up. You walk down the street with her and you’re dating. If you were caught together, Modest would make up some lie about you two being cousins or something. And of course, there’s the whole illegal factor. If you guys caught up in a moment and something happened... You’d get arrested. Do you really want to get caught up in all that Niall?”

As much as I want to deny all that Liam just said, he’s right. As usual. I sigh, running another hand through my ruffled blond hair.

“Well, fuck it,” I say, slouching back into the dressing room couch, defeated. Louis shrugs off the wall he had been leaning against and walks over to me. He sits next to me, patting my back.

“It’s for the best, mate. Look at it this way, now you don’t have to be tied down and all that shit,” he chuckles, trying to cheer me up. I give him a weak grin, at least he tries. “Speaking of that, I should probably go call El and wish her good luck on her exam today. I meet you lads outside, there’s a limo waiting for us out front.” He gets up and walks over to the door, opening it. He pauses before walking out, and turns to look at me over his shoulder. “And remember Niall, it could be worse.” I raise an eyebrow at him before he continues. “Your goldfish could be dead.” I let out a chuckle, watching him walk out of sight, cell in hand. “Shut the door! Turn the lights off!” I hear him sing loudly. I shake my head, smiling, as I get up and close the door.

I turn around and lean it, letting out another sigh. Silence fills the room as I stare down as my supras. I glance up to see the rest of the boys staring at me cautiously, I look back down. Jamie. “What should I say to her?” I ask quietly.

“Just tell her the truth,” Zayn answers simply. “It’s no good feeding her some bullshit excuse.” I nod, pulling out my phone.

“Let’s get changed, don’t want to keep the limo waiting. Or Lou,” Liam says. Harry laughs.