Part 3 - Chapter 19: War

"I trust you will take good care of this," Riju said, handing a radiant shield to Zelda.

She ran her hands along the purple metal and the huge red jewel in the center with awe. Zelda had always loved the Gerudo culture, especially their clothing and weapon design.

"It's beautiful," Zelda said. "But will it protect me?"

Riju laughed. "Of course it will, Princess. There's no need to worry."

The two walked out into the main plaza of the city. It was filled with all the warriors that were going to fight. They conversed with one another, talked strategy, and some even practiced attacks.  The morning sun shined off their armour and weapons.

As they walked down the steps, Zelda caught Link in the corner of her eye. He stood near the front of the crowd, tall, his blue was particularly easy to see in the crowd of Gerudo women.

Zelda stopped on the steps. Riju turned around.

"What's the matter?" Riju tracked Zelda's gaze to Link. She smiled.

"Ohhh. There he is."

Zelda nodded. "Yep. There he is."

"Did something happen between you guys?" Riju asked. They started to walk down the stairs again.

"No..." Zelda quietly said.

"You sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Ok. If you say so," Riju responded.

They reached the bottom of the stairs.

"He almost kissed me last night."

Riju stopped dead in her tracks.

"What!" she screamed. Many of the women turned to the yell.

"Shh! Quiet, Riju!"

Riju ran up and grabbed her arms.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, Riju. Now quiet down, please."

"Ok, ok," Riju said. "That's just so exciting!"

"Please, let's not talk about it now. We have a battle to fight."

Riju stood tall. "Ok. Ok, you're right." She walked to the crowd. She stood among her people.

"Are we ready?" Riju shouted.

"Yes!" Their response was even louder.

Link looked across the crowd to Zelda. They locked eyes. They hadn't talked since last night. Link subtly nodded. Zelda did the same.

"Let's fight!" Riju yelled.

—————

That afternoon, hundreds of Gerudo warriors lined the desert and marched to the Karusa Valley: the entrance to the Yiga Clan's canyon. All of them wore their battle armour and wielded their spears, swords, bows, scimitars, and shields. Lady Riju lead the way. She lead a commanding army behind her. For her first battle, Riju appeared very calm.

They stopped about 100 yards from the opening of the canyon.

"If they are to come out," Riju called out, "this is where they'd do it."

She turned to Zelda, who stood to her right. "They're gonna come out, right?"

Zelda nodded. "That's what the dream said." She held her eightfold blade tightly in her hand and the radiant shield in the other.