Chapter 16: The Evening

"Point it at that tree up there."

Zelda held the hookshot and aimed at some trees on top of a hill on the outskirts of the village.

"Like this?" She asked looked over her shoulder.

"Yeah. Hold on." Link was behind her making sure she was doing it right. He walked up closer so he could see why she saw. He took her arm and moved it to the left a little. "I think that's good," he said.

"You think?"

"Yeah."

"That doesn't sound confident at all."

"Well, I just got the thing today."

Zelda laughed. "Ok, ok."

She stayed still for a moment more, then pushed the button. It exploded from where she was and flew into the biggest tree at the top of the hill.

"Nice!" Link yelled. "Now, this part-"

Link's voice trailed off as she flew towards the tree. As soon as she got to it, she released the hookshot and dropped safely to the ground. She stood there feeling a rush of energy.

"Link!" She ran to the edge of the hill. "Did you see that?" she screamed.

"Yeah!" he yelled back. "Now hook on to this one!" He patted a tree to his left.

"Ok." Zelda took aim and shot. It hooked on to the trunk perfectly, and she flew down the hill. She detached at the right moment and slid on the grass.

"This is amazing!" she studied it more. "Good job, Purah."

"Right?" he said. He sat down on the grass and watched Zelda play around with it some more. She studied it, aimed it at more things and asked questions. Link answered all that he could, but he explained that Impa didn't really, well, explain anything. She played around with it for a few more minutes. The sun began to set making their shadows long across the ground. It shined through her golden hair and made it look like she was goddess of a different world. The longer he looked at her the more he realized that the silent princess pedals were flowing through the wind.

To Link, she was beautiful.

"Zelda?" he called out.

Her eyes stayed glued to the hookshot.

"Zelda," he repeated.

She finally broke her trance. "Yes, Link."

He looked up at the purple sky. "Maybe Paya was right. Time for some rest."

She smiled and nodded. "Alright."

She handed the hookshot to Link and he attached it to his waist. He noticed the slate on her own hip as they've walked through the village.

"How has that been?" he asked. 

"Oh, the slate?" she said. "It's been marvelous. I've been taking lots of pictures with the children studying some plants around the area."

"Very you."

They walked by Paya's house and Link saw Sheik plying his harp as always at the top of the stairs.

"Hey Zelda. I'll meet you inside." he said walking towards the house.

"Ok," she answered. "Don't be too long." She watched him walk up the stairs. Then she grunted and frustratedly turned around.

"'Don't be too long,'" she mocked herself. "Ugh! Why did I say that? Zelda, what are you thinking?"

Link creaked up the stairs to Sheik. He had an old paper in front of him with faded notes painted on and was trying to figure out the melody. It was the same one he had been attempting inside.