April : Part II

Jake Griffin was sitting on his favorite chair in the Griffin's yard, quietly surveying the barbecue unraveling before him.

He loved the spot, Clarke knew, because there was nothing he couldn't see.

He knew when Jasper and Monty stole extra burgers because they had the munchies after getting too high.

He knew John Murphy loved the fruity drinks Abby had put out, and he'd just as soon crush the cup and destroy the evidence than be caught with one.

He knew that Octavia and Lincoln were sitting in the treehouse flirting with each other.

He knew that Abby would stop by soon and bend over to give him a kiss, and view as she sauntered back into the kitchen.

It was always where Clarke could find him.

So why was she so surprised to see him there now? In the middle of the senior year barbecue? Smiling and nodding out of time to the music he forced upon the younger generation of guests, beer in hand?

"D...dad?" Clarke's voice faltered as she took several steps toward him, feeling the grass, soft under her shoe.

"Oh, hey Clarke." Jake smiled warmly, patting his lap.

Clarke hesitated, and Jake seemed to notice.

"What? Too old to sit on your old man's lap in front of your friends?" Jake chuckled, pointing to the lawn chair beside him, offering her the solo cup of beer. "Humor me. Have a sip."

Clarke took the cup, eyebrows raised, mouth hanging ajar. She'd just felt her father's hand brush against hers. This had to have been real.

"How are you here?" Clarke stumbled, blinking over and over again.

Jake blinked. "Don't get all philosophical on me, Clarkester. I've had one too many beers for that."

"I've....missed you so much." Clarke gasped, feeling tears prick in her eyes, the distant beat of The Rolling Stones bouncing in her ears.

Jake smiled. "I know, been a tough week at work. But hey, movie night this saturday, right? After Octavia's game? Your mom's shift will be over, we can see something good."

Clarke gasped as if a blade had been driven into her heart.

"But...Dad. You...you..."

"So." Jake smirked back into the crowd. "You two are serious, huh?"

Clarke blinked her tears away in utter confusion and gaped once more, as her blue gaze settled on a heart-achingly familiar brunette, serving food on two plates, carrying them over with haste.

"Lex?" Clarke murmured, confused.

Jake passed away way before Lexa ever came into her life. What the hell was happening? Clarke couldn't organize her thoughts before she found herself simply...enjoying everything. It was what she'd always wanted, right?

"Hey baby. Don't worry- Extra pickles, like you wanted. For Jake- double cheese." Lexa grinned her sexy smile that made Clarke swoon, handing the plate to Jake as she took a seat beside Clarke, lacing their hands together.

"Can you believe you two bickering kids fell so hard?" Jake chuckled. "Love is a crazy thing."

Clarke felt more tears rush down her face, though they were tears that never actually surfaced. This was all she'd ever wanted. The normalcy of it all was astounding.

And yet, she couldn't help but question it.

"How do you...know her?" Clarke asked, and Lexa blinked in confusion, tilting her head curiously.