January : Part III

The doorbell rang and a smile immediately crossed Lexa's face, but before she could move to get up, Aden was out of his seat like a shot, bolting across the floor, his sock-clad feet easily skidding to his destination.

"I've got it!" he called unnecessarily over his shoulder, and Lexa laughed lightly as he practically flung the door open, Clarke's face obscured by a large brown bag of groceries.

"Honey," she called teasingly, and Lexa felt her smile widen, cheeks aching slightly from the pressure, "I'm home." Aden took the groceries from her with ease, and Clarke smiled down at him and ruffled his hair, pressing a quick kiss to his forehead. At the sight of the two of them being so familiar with one another, Lexa felt herself turn into a small puddle of goo [gay], and she knew if she'd been alone a soft utterance of aww would have escaped her lips.

"Thanks, Aden," Clarke laughed, before quickly making her way over to Lexa, who was leaning on the entrance to the kitchen. She pressed a soft kiss to both of the girl's cheeks, before standing on tip-toe to reach Lexa's forehead, kissing the spot between her eyebrows.

"Hey," she whispered, somewhat breathlessly, as Lexa pulled her closer, the taller girl smiling down at her.

"What?" Lexa teased. "No kiss on the lips?"

"Not with that attitude, no," Clarke shot back, and Lexa pouted. The blonde girl went to move away, but Lexa spun her back around, swallowing Clarke's laugh as she pressed their lips together quickly. As she made to deepen the embrace, Aden coughed awkwardly, and Lexa huffed when Clarke pulled away with an apologetic glance.

"Sorry Aden," Clarke laughed, and he shook his head, glancing between the two of them.

"I'll be in my room, pretending I don't exist," he assured them, and Clarke abandoned Lexa's side to pull him in for a quick hug.

"I'll call you down when dinner's ready," she told him, "we don't want you to starve, now, do we?" Aden grinned up at her before saluting at Lexa and scampering up the stairs.

"You're so good with him," Lexa murmured, once more pulling Clarke into an embrace, peppering kisses along her face.

"He's a joy," Clarke assured her, "he's like, my new best friend."

"I thought that was me?" Lexa pouted, and Clarke laughed softly.

"You're a little more than that," she consoled, and Lexa sighed contentedly, breathing in the scent of Clarke's shampoo and revelling in the warmth that radiated from the other girl.

Despite her protests, Lexa was truly in awe of the way Clarke interacted with her little brother. No matter how many times she thought about it, or said it aloud, it was truly astounding to her.

Clarke was too good for her.

Lexa knew her own worth.

She was successful in everything she participated in, whether it be school, or sports, or just life in general. She'd entered the world leaps and bounds ahead of her peers just because of her name, and thus had grown up already displayed on a golden pedestal. But Clarke? Clarke was so much better than she could ever hope to be.

Clarke was wholesome and good in all of the places that Lexa lacked. She was brightness and sunshine and warmth while Lexa was a jaded echo of a person still trying to find her way in the world. While Lexa had worth in business and sports and wealth, Clarke was simply a good person, and Lexa often felt that she didn't deserve her.

"Hey." Lexa's eyes opened slowly to find Clarke's cerulean gaze locked onto her own, concern shining in bright orbs. "You okay?"

"Mhm," Lexa assured, "just thinking."