Chapter 31: Mother Knows Best

Start from the beginning

Emily reached for a cookie, but as her fingers brushed the crisp outer layer, her mother smacked her hand away.

"These are mine. Now go study or something." 

She stared daringly at Emily.

"Yes, mother," she nodded, bowing slightly in submission.

She walked swiftly out of the kitchen, holding her head up high, before dashing into her room and crumbling on the ground.

Hearing her soft tears, Mari crushed the cookie in her palm, watching the crumbles fall to the ivory counter. She smiled.

Emily stood up, her breath quivering

Emily stood up, her breath quivering. Rushing to her nightstand, she opened it and pulled out a card. Aiden's card. Holding it to her heart, she dropped onto her bed.

She reached beneath her shirt, pulling her phone out of her bra. Opening her contacts, she held the business card up as she typed in the numbers, her hands shaking.

Her body was moving on autopilot. She needed someone to talk to... and that someone was Aiden. She pressed the call button.

It rung.

And rung.

And rung.

Then finally... You have reached the phone of Aiden Armstrong. Please leave your message at the tone... beep.

Oh gosh, she didn't want this. She was nervous enough as it was.

"Um... Hey Aiden. It's me. I-I mean... it's Emily. Kim," she rushed out her last name, in case he knew other girls named Emily. She felt stupid. "I just... needed someone to talk to, I guess. Call me if you get this."

She pressed the end call button. Oh no, I forgot to say bye, she thought.

She threw her phone on the bed, holding her face as her head fell back onto the mattress.

Seconds later, her phone buzzed. Eyes widening, she flipped over on the bed and snatched the device.

She didn't immediately recognize the number but answered anyway. She held the phone to her ear.

"What's wrong?" a masculine voice demanded.

She sighed in relief. It was the voice of her beloved. Wait no, beloved? Where did that come from?

"Aiden," she whispered.

"What happened Emily? I'm coming over," Aiden spoke, determination lacing his tone.

He sounded like he was in a rush. She heard a door slam in the background. Then, a motor revved up. She gasped.

"Aiden... Aiden wait. I'm fine."

"Then why were you crying?" he asked, taking in deep breaths as he tried to calm his racing heart.

He pulled the key out of the ignition, his phone in between his shoulder and ear as he watched the garage door open. His breath thickened.

"Oh... that. I-I can't be with you this weekend."

He heaved a sigh, leaning against the motorcycle seat. He gripped the phone and held it to his other ear.

"That's okay. I'll miss you, but... I understand if you're busy or..."

He paused, hoping she wasn't breaking up with him.

"N-no. It's my mother," she rushed out, not wanting him to get the wrong idea.

"Your mother?"

She gulped.

"Yeah," she responded, tears welling in her eyes.

"Did she make you cry?" he asked, feeling his protective instincts rise inside him.

She wiped away a falling tear.

"That's not important. Anyway," she sniffed. "Nathan's coming over."

He nodded.

"I understand."

She smiled.

"He's just a friend," she reassured.

"I know," he replied. He trusted Nathan with her.

"I'll... I'll miss you," she whispered.

He smiled. She could sense it, her heart warming.

"I'll miss you too, babe," he grinned, using the pet name she hated.

She laughed, the sound warming his heart. He missed her already.

"Goodbye."

"Bye," he responded.

She clicked the end call button. Blushing, a giddy smile etched its way up her face. She pressed her entire body into the mattress, giggling into her comforter as she thought of Aiden, the memory of her terrible mother behind her.