Chapter 1 (Interlude)

Crowguard, the capital of the Nirin Empire.

"Where should I put these, Spymaster?" The young secretary asks, carrying an even bigger pile of papers with her. The man looks up from his work, then motions to the right side of the desk. "You can leave it here, Cassie." He gives her a tired smile. "You're a lifesaver."

"You know you should take a break, right?"  She worries after setting the pile on it's intended place.

"I could certainly use one, but that comes after work. I still have a ton of reports to get through." He sights.

"Still, I think your health is more important, and the reports can always wait."

"It's fine, no need to be concerned." He answeres nonchalantly and makes a shooing gesture, still smiling. The secretary just looks at him, her expression twisting in concern, but finally decides to leave the Spymaster to his work. The door closes with a loud bang as she leaves the office.

He takes the new pile of paperwork and skims over the titles. Army compositions, resource stockpiles, court rumors... What is this? He stops. A Report from the Gallenfell Forest? That's new. The Spymaster picks up the intriguing piece of paper with curly handwriting. Messages from the Gallenfell spy are few and far between. The last report arrived three years ago when their Forest Guardian fell in battle with the salamanders. Fairies are peaceful creatures, and there is rarely anything interesting to report. It was hard enough to get a fairy to spy on it's own kind. Almost not worth the effort. "This better be interesting." He mumbles to himself and begins reading.

Gallenfell report

to Spymaster Morlan

I'm risking a lot by sending this message to you, Spymaster. If I'm discovered, I'll be executed for high treason. A new Forest Guardian was just born. It understood everything we said just minutes after leaving the bud and now holds a session with Mother Prinna in the Great Tree. We've never had such a thing happen to us throughout the history of Gallenfell, and even The Mother is unsure of how to proceed. I hope this information is of any help to you, Spymaster.

And please, remember your end of the bargain. I'll send another report after I get more information.

Your contact in Gallenfell

Fascinating. The man thinks. A new Guardian after just three years? It usually takes more than five winters for the bud to grow. And then there's the comment about the Guardian understanding without being taught... "Cassie! I need you to send a letter for me." Morlan calls for his secretary.

"You called, Spymaster?" She opens the door almost instantly, approaching his desk. 

"Yes, I need you to send this," He hands her the report. "to Archivist Phirora. I need her opinion on a certain matter."

"Urgent?" Cassie asks.

"Not really, but as soon as she can find the time."

"It will be done." And with that, she leaves once again.

Amusing... The Empire might have to turn its sight on the Gallenfell Forest in the near future. He muses. I think it's time to send one of the spy's family members back to him; He brought such intriguing news to me, after all. The son or the daughter?

He yawns. 

As if it matters.