Chapter 8

By the time we reached the hospital I was quiet, silent tears streaming down my face as I starred ahead. Carson's hand was holding mine, though I could only hop I was holding his back.

He got out and helped me out, both of us running inside. They directed us to a waiting room where Brandon, Dylan, Lanie, me, Carson, some of Zach's family and now my mom were waiting also.

I went straight for Mandy, crying and begging her to fix him. SHe could fix anyone. I dug my fingers into her scrub top and cried and cried and struggled to breath and cried again as I let it out, hoping no one thougt I was crazy but not truthfully caring if they did.

Everyone was tearful, no one was silent and the waiting room was full of tears and prayers.

I finally collapsed, my legs giving out as I fell backwards, thankful that Carson still had his hands on my back as him and my mom go tme sat in a chair and I finally began calming down.

"Honey, calm down, just try to breathe." Mandy directed me, tears in her eyes and her hands on my knees as she crouched infront of me.

I didn't say anything as I finally stopped crying, hoping the now silent tears would stop as well as I prayed for Zach, hoping he was okay.

"They said that it would be hours before we knew anything. Do you wanna go home and wait for someone to call?" She asked, wiping my eyes iwth tissues.

I shook my head, still silent.

"Okay well I'm gonna go call Gramma and have her bring you some clothes, you can't sit here like this the whole night. We'll get you cleaned up." She said, kissing my head and nodding at Carson before stepping out of the wating room. I looked over at Zach's mom, Vivian, who gave me a weak smile and opened her arms ot me as she sat on a vinyl covered couch. I didn't waist any time, I stood up and went straight to her side, colapsing in her arms as we held eachother and cried togetehr.

"You're his best friend, a lot of times you were even my best friend. Thank you so much for being there fo rhim and loving him An.. I don't know where he'd be today without you." She said, holding me. "You two are very lucky to have eachother, don't forget that." She kissed my forehead as we gained our composure. I put my head on her shoulder and she put her head ontop of mine.

Not even an hour later Gramma walked in the door, her large handbag thrown over her shoulder and tears in her eyes as she followed my mom in the room.

"I'll stay here with Vivian while you go get cleaned up." Gramma told me as I looked at her sleeping figure, head head in my lap and her hand on her growing baby. Zach had been so excited about becoming a big brother. He had siblings but they lived with his dad in Oregan and they had never been close. But this baby boy in Vivian's stomach was already almost matured, only a month until her due date and Zach was booming with excitment, as was her husband who was, unfortunatly, deloyed until the day before the due date.

I stood up, still not saying anything and mechanically walked with my mom and Lanie to the bahroom, letting them lead me.

Mom locked the door to the family bathroom while Lanie silently set the clothes Gramma had handed her on the back of the toilet and helped me out of my bathing suit as my mom wiped at the blood with wet paper towels, tears in all of our eyes and we stood in the bathroom. I felt helpless. I couldn't talk, I couldn't dress myself, I couldn't move as they changed me. I stayed silent as they put me in a pair of sweat pants and a t shirt and lanie carried my other clothes back to the waiting room.

When we entered the room I sat back down. Vivian was awake now, sitting next to Gramma talking quietly. How in the world she was holding herself together was beyond me.