|20|

After their longer than anticipated shower, Adam and Leora got ready for their day. Adam dressed in a simple pair of slacks and a light blue shirt whilst Leora donned an off the shoulder blue and white sundress and some gladiator sandals.

Their first stop, as earlier promised, was to the two girls. Leora had made sure to have breakfast sent directly to their room so as to prevent either girl from having any excuse to not eat. The Luna was somewhat eager to address the girls considering her negligence the night prior which she still felt guilty about.

When they arrived, both girls were scurrying about aimlessly, the smell of antiseptic lingering heavily in the air. Leora immediately became alert, she knew the familiar scent, it had polluted the hospitals that she had attended as a child when her eyesight had begun to fail. The two girls gasped, turning to the couple like a couple of deer caught in the headlights- complete and utter terror twisted into their features.

"What's going on?" Leora asked worriedly, breaking the pregnant pause that had encompassed them.

There weren't many times in his life when he had been left speechless, but Adam was struck by the sight before him. The breakfast tray that had been sent up had been tossed about the room and both girls had a collection of fresh bruises ruining their delicate skin.

Marianne was slightly worse off, in her attempt to protect her friend, she had taken a few extra blows to her stomach and arms though it wasn't by a large margin. Spiraea had cuts on her face and hands where she unsuccessfully tried to shield herself from the blows, a myriad of dark bruises decorated her face, arms and legs.

A few images of the sight filtered through the newly established bond, allowing Leora to see through Adam's eyes the horror that lay before them. Leora gasped, a small sob escaping her as she finally saw the depth of the situation. Though blind, she had not been ignorant of the mistreatment these girls faced under Damien's care but to actually see it was something she hadn't been prepared for.

"Oh my goodness." She whimpered into her palm, her other hand seeking Adam for comfort. He obliged, rubbing small circles over her lower back as she calmed herself down.

Leora heard as Adam telepathically ordered one of his pack members to discreetly come and clean up the mess, as well as bring the two girls another tray of food. It was touching that the wolf responded both earnestly and instantaneously, getting to action right away.

"We are going to help you, the both of you." Leora told the girls, a strike of determination filling her.

The girls seemed unsure, but accepted their help nonetheless. For them, hope was dangerous, but they were so tired of living in their painful existence that they didn't want to care. They needed to get out, and Adam and Leora were their only hope.

The couple stayed a little longer to make sure both girls' breakfast was delivered and that they would be undisturbed whilst eating. Adam assigned one of his warriors outside their room to ease the anxiety that was bouncing around the room.

They stepped outside, allowing the humans their space. Leora was still partially shaken up, her eyes watering with her sympathies.

"Please tell me that there's something we can do for them," she clutched her mate tightly.

"I don't know," Adam admitted quietly. He knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear but he didn't want to lie to her either. The truth was, he was at a loss with what to do.

Though the practice of human slaves was frowned upon, it was in no way outlawed. Unfortunately, Damien had every right to his human pets, and under his care, he could treat them any way he saw fit. It was deplorable, but there wasn't anything that Adam could really do.