SEVENTEEN

It hit me hard and fast: I was going to die. I was a human, what the hell was I thinking fighting a goddess?
In a last attempt to help the Asgardians, I reached up and grabbed for anything I could get. I ended up with my fist wrapped around multiple horns on Hela's helmet, breaking them off as they dug into my hands, slicing them open as I fell to the ground. I hit the bridge with a hard thump and let my bloody hand roam to my bloody abdomen. I heard Thor yell, but it was muffled in my ears. I swore all I really heard was blood rushing through and out of me.
My eyes closed and a couple tears fell slowly. I couldn't help it, I had never thought about death, like ever. I usually just ran from things and hid, I was good at being safe.
I pressed hard on my wound. It was a last minute attempt to stop from bleeding out, but I knew it didn't mean anything. I let my eyes close slowly. I wished Loki was there with me, but I was also glad he didn't have to see it. I slowly reached a bloody hand up and grabbed the helmet on my head, just touching it and thinking about Loki and Thor and Valkyrie. I hoped Bruce got home safe. I hoped the Asgardians found somewhere for themselves. With my eyes still closed, I felt my body get lifted from the ground. I tried to open them, but I couldn't. I heard a muffled voice talking, and it brought me some comfort even though I couldn't make out what they were saying. I tried to mumbled back that I was going to be okay, and that I wasn't scared, but I could barely open my mouth.
Eventually, I let myself pass out.

I opened my eyes slowly. I stood in the kitchen of an apartment in the Stark Tower. I looked around slowly to see a bunch of people.
Natasha, Clint, Steve, Tony, Maria Hill, Pepper Potts, Vision, Wanda, my parents, and even Aryra... I turned on my heel and saw Thor, Loki, Bruce, and Valkyrie smiling softly at me.
"You did good, Cain." Thor assured proudly.
"You saved all those people," Bruce agreed. I stuttered, unsure of what to say. My eyes traveled to Loki, who looked back with pride and sadness.
"You are the strongest person I know," Loki whispered, stepping closer to me.
"You're the strongest person I know, too, and I know a lot of beings." Valkyrie smirked, and I had to admit it made me feel better. It was starting to come back to me, and I realized I must have been dead.
Loki reached a hand up and tangled it into my hair. I looked down and saw myself in a green dress with golden jewelry. I let Loki pull my face toward his until our lips met. Oh, how I loved those lips.
"I'm going to miss you more than you know. I promise, I will never betray you nor my brother again." He whispered, pressing his forehead against mine. I felt like I should cry, but I couldn't. I felt too peaceful.
"I'm glad you found each other, even for the short amount of time that you did," Thor told Loki and I. Loki looked at me and grinned, a hint of sadness evident, but I grinned back at him proudly.
I melted into his gaze and couldn't help but leaning up again, determined to savor the last kiss I would ever feel from his lips. He kissed back, and it wasn't even awkward in the room of people, just peaceful. I was okay with dying like this.
"You saved Asgard, and it will be known. You will be known for centuries as a hero, to Asgard and to Midgard." Thor spoke, and I couldnt help but step forward and wrap my arms around his waist. He hugged back tightly and all of our memories as best friends came rushing back.
"I love you, Thor."
"I love you, Cain."
I turned to Loki.
"I love you, Loki." I whispered, pulling him closer.
"I love you, Little Cain."

Loki found himself in Thor's room. It was his first reappearance on the ship. Thor was staring at himself in the mirror, his missing eye bandaged, and Loki chimed from the doorway, "it suits you." Thor bowed his head, he knew he would have to break the news to Loki, he just didn't know how he could. He had red rimmed eyes himself from mourning the death of his best friend.
"Perhaps you're not so bad after all, brother." Thor admitted quietly.
"Maybe not," Loki shrugged.
"Thank you, Loki." Thor picks up a soap dish, "if you're here I might even hug you, after I tell you the news," Thor said solemnly, throwing the dish at Loki, who caught it midair with a small, confused smile.
"I'm here, brother." He assured. As much as Thor wanted to grin, he couldn't. Instead he sighed and looked to Loki with teary eyes. Noticing the expression on his brothers face, Loki's heart dropped and he spoke quickly.
"Where's Cain?" He breathed shakily. Thor bowed his head again, shaking it lightly. Loki felt his whole world come crashing down in an instant. It was painful. Tears immediately began to pool from his eyes.
"No, no Thor." Loki denied, taking a step back and running into a piece of furniture.
"I'm so sorry, brother." Thor's voice cracked. Loki gripped his hair tightly in his hands, and Thor saw the maniacal look in his brothers eyes.
"You're lying," Loki tried to deny, but he knew it wasn't something Thor would like about.
"Please, no," he whispered slowly.

And that's the end! I hope you guys enjoyed this story; it kept me entertained! I will be publishing an alternate ending chapter after this one. Thanks for reading and check out my other stories! ❤️