Chapter 21 - End Of The Beginning

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

Jaune didn't know what to do. The girl who had just confessed to him and his best friend was sacrificing herself to save thousands. Beacon and Vale were under attack by forces he was too weak to oppose alone. He was alone. He was angry, sad, scared, and confused. But he knew there was one person he could count on. He pulled out his scroll as quickly as he could and tried to contact Ruby. As Weiss and Ruby were running toward the tower of Beacon Academy, Weiss' scroll rung. They stopped to check who the call was from.

Weiss: "It's Jaune!"

Immediately after stopping, Weiss answered the scroll.

Weiss: "Where are you?!"

Jaune: "Weiss, please! You have to stop her!"

Weiss: "What?"

Jaune: "Pyrrha! She's going after that woman, at the top of the tower! She doesn't stand a chance!"

Weiss and Ruby looked toward the top of the tower to see if they could spot Pyrrha and Cinder. Weiss looked back at her scroll to try and calm Jaune down.

Weiss: "Jaune, what are you talking about? Where are you?"

Jaune began to break down. He was on the verge of tears and his time crying was spent talking to someone who wasn't helping.

Jaune: "Don't worry about me! Please... You have to save Pyrrha..."

Weiss: "We will. Are you okay?"

Finally, Jaune lost it. He roared and slammed his scroll against the ground, crushing it instantly. With nothing he could do, Jaune falls to his knees and cries to his heart's content. He pleads to the gods to save Pyrrha.

Jaune: "Please..."

After no response to her question, Weiss began to worry about Jaune even more. She tried to re-establish connection with Jaune, but failed.

Weiss: "Jaune? Jaune!"

Just as she gave up, the ground began to rumble and the giant Grimm began to descend onto the grounds of Beacon Academy. As it flew downwards, drops of black liquid fell off of its wings, spawning more Grimm where the droplets landed. Ruby and Weiss readied their weapons for the fight.

Ruby: "I have a plan."

Weiss: "You always do."

With that, Weiss and Ruby began to dash toward the tower once again.

Timeskip - Ozpin's Office

At the top of the tower, Cinder came out of the dust that had spewed up when the elevator was destroyed. She walked to the window and looked in satisfaction at the damage she had caused to the kingdom. The large Grimm crawled around the tower to the window Cinder was looking out of. The Grimm spotted her and let out a screech that shook the stars. Cinder didn't even flinch. She just stood and looked at the Grimm menacingly. The only sounds that followed the cry of the Grimm was the mechanical clocks of Ozpin's office.

Cinder: "Ssshhh... This is your home now."

The Grimm with three of it's six eyes looked at Cinder, seeming to calm down. It gave her a cry of confirmation and Cinder stepped back. She put out her right hand with her palm upward, spouting a flame with her new Fall Maiden powers. She was about to enjoy her power until the elevator screeched to halt, seemingly working again as it arrived at the office. Cinder looked back in confusion and annoyance as this happened. Comically, the elevator dinged and the doors slammed open as Pyrrha's spear sped toward Cinder, who simply leaned to her side to dodge it. Pyrrha charged at Cinder with her shield, putting the shield underneath her feet and jumping toward cinder feet-first. Cinder blocked with both hands and pushed Pyrrha off.

Pyrrha: "Hyah!"

She landed back on her feet and used her semblance to call her spear and shield back to her hands. She took a fighting stance while Cinder used her new powers to menacingly float in front of her with a flame below her feet. Her eyes began to glow a bright orange, and then she fired beams of flame and energy toward Pyrrha, who swiftly dodged her attacks. Pyrrha started charging at Cinder, spinning around a blast of energy that was coming straight at her. In retaliation, Cinder fired a massive beam of fire to which Pyrrha blocked with her shield. Pyrrha charged at Cinder and swung her spear at her as fast as she could, but Cinder caught it effortlessly. Cinder rotated the spear and punched Pyrrha in the stomach, causing her to fly back and hit the wall. The fight was equal until Cinder eventually grabbed Pyrrha's spear while she was in a hold, and melted it, breaking it into three pieces. Pyrrha was shocked, but even more shocked at the giant Grimm charging at the tower. Cinder blasted away Pyrrha, crippling the top of the tower and causing the roof to fall over. A massive halo of green energy burst from the tower and Pyrrha fell over against a piece of debris. Despite all of the pain she was in, she started crawling her way back to her shield. Cinder just floated in front of her, watching as this weakling tried her best to fight something she could not begin to comprehend. What Cinder failed to comprehend however, was that Pyrrha could use her semblance to throw pieces of metal at Cinder. Which was what she did. Immediately wiping the smug look off of her face, Cinder was hit by a piece of the tower toward the side. That didn't affect her however, and she simply used her powers to blast away the chunk of metal. The battle was once again equal, but Pyrrha soon lost the upper hand again when Cinder shot an arrow at her leg, rendering her unable to fight any further. She fell onto her knees and cried out in pain, but then again, wouldn't you?

Pyrrha: "Aaagh! Ugh!"

As she struggled to stand up, she felt a surge of pain in her leg and fell over again. She had enough of that and pulled the arrow out of her. Cinder just walked around Pyrrha, observing the last moments of yet another opponent.

Cinder: "It was unfortunate you were promised a power that was never truly yours."

Cinder walked around to Pyrrha's face and knelt down to face her so she was looking directly at her eyes.

Cinder: "But take comfort in knowing that I will use it in ways that you would have never imagined."

Pyrrha backed a way slightly and decided to ask Cinder her final question.

Pyrrha: "Do you believe in destiny?"

Cinder stood back up and smiled.

Cinder: "Yes."

Cinder materialized a bow as she prepared to kill Pyrrha. Meanwhile Ruby was using Weiss' glyphs to climb the walls of the tower. She arrived at the top, just to witness her friend's imminent demise. Cinder was about the let go of the arrow...until the arrow stopped in mid air.

Cinder: "What?"

Crane jumped down from the LAAT which just arrived at the tower and landed right in front of Pyrrha. The gunship's engines roared as it descended toward Vale to drop off everyone else.

Cinder: "Ah...you must be the one I've heard so much about."

Crane smirked at Cinder's confidence, and he just liked hearing that he's famous.

Crane: "So you have heard of me then. In that case, I'll make this brief."

Crane took out his saber and held it horizontally across his chest. It ignited quickly with both green blades sprouting from each end. He then spun it incredibly fast in front of him, and then stopped it so the saber was aligned vertically in front of him.

Crane: "You are not welcome in this kingdom or in this school. Leave immediately, or I will destroy you."

Cinder grinned at Crane's challenge and decided to indulge herself.

Cinder: "So you want to die too? Let's not waste any time then."

Crane's smile only grew, much to Cinder's dismay.

Crane: "I was hoping you'd say that."