"And I'm not arguing about that, mother. I respect your opinions. But I don't want them anymore- enough is enough, I'm tired of you living my life for me."

"How dare you." She said, looking offended.

Oh, I've had enough of this... Lucas was right, at some point, I'll have to stand up for what I want.

"How dare me? No Mom? How dare you!" My whole body was trembling. "You can't just make everything float towards the direction you want it to."

"Yes, yes I can." She said. "I'm your mother!"

"Yes mom, I know- but that's all you are, my mother- not my manager! You quitted that job a long time ago."

"So?"

"So you don't have any right to tell me who to work for and who not to work for... This is my life mother, not yours... Stop trying to ruin my life just like you ruined yours!"

It slipped before I could control my tongue. Her hands connected with my cheek in a moment, slapping my words back into my throat.

She grabbed my phone and texted Yvonne, then after that, she threw it on the ground.

"Catherine! What are you doing?" Sarah said rushing to our direction.

"Let's go." My mom pulled her arm and the both of them walked away.

I stood there feeling completely lost, reliving moments and moments of my young self. This wasn't the first time her hands had made themselves comfortable against my skin. It happened every time I tried to stand up for myself. She would slap me so hard that I'd forget I had the right over what I wanted.

I felt the tears pull down my cheeks.

"Oh my God Fay, are you alright?" Rhea said, rushing to me.

"I didn't expect her to do that, are you okay Fay?" Melissa asked too.

I managed a nod. "I'm fine. I just need to-"

"I'll take you to my place." Rhea said, holding my hands. "Grangran, we'll give you a call later."

"Okay." Melissa said, sighing sadly.

And just like that, the brunch was ruined.

___

"Thank you." I muttered to Rhea as she handed me a mug of hot cocoa. I folded my cold body to the very warm expensive couch in Rhea's penthouse here in Miami.

"It's alright." Rhea said, sitting on the couch opposite me. "I take it this isn't the first time something like this has happened?"

I knew she was referring to the slap. "Yeah... How did you know?"

She shrugged. "I can relate." She muttered. "My mom was also a model. When she had me, she went to every length to put me into the Chesterfield home. My Dad didn't love her, it was all a result of a one night stand issue. but he accepted me. The boys mother took me in as her own. But I had to go through a lot before them. My mom taught me how to be prim and proper, she always told me that my face was a ticket to a good life." Rhea informed.

"I guess our moms are twins." I muttered.

All she did was smile. "I was trained to despise anything below my standards. It's in my blood and there's no changing it. Look Fay, our mothers may have been real, dare I say, bitches, but it's because of them we're here today." Rhea said.

"I agree with you... But my mom wants to make decisions for me... She doesn't think my opinion matters. She doesn't think that I'm old enough to do what I feel is right for me." I said.

"Patience, Fay... You'll come to understand soon."

"I hope so." I said, taking a sip of the hot cocoa.

"So tell me," Rhea spoke up. "What's the deal with you and my brother?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Are you guys really in love or are you faking it for granny's sake?" She asked.

I swallowed. "Um- we are- we are not exactly faking anything Rhea... Elroy's just trying to adjust to me in his life, that's all."

"It's been over three years Fay, you've been in this relationship for three years."

"I know- it's just- you know how he is... Stubborn."

Rhea smiled. "I know. And I also know enough to know that he was the reason why the brunch got ruined."

"What?"

"Apparently, when you and your mom went out to talk, we had a small fight inside as well."

"Oh God." I said.

"Yeah... Listen, I want you to know that Elroy, really isn't a bad person. He's just stubborn and somewhat lost. and if there's any right woman out there for him Fay, it's you. I can tell that you care about him."

"I do." I said. "But he is beginning to get under my skin and not in a good way."

"Oh, really? So you want to end things?"

"Yes but I can't... Grandma's health is more than important." I muttered.

"You're right about that... She's really crazy about the idea of you two being together."

"I know. that's why I have to endure and make it work." I said.

Rhea smiled. "Like I said, patience. Good things take a lot of time."

"You're right Rhea."

"I know."

"Thanks for letting me stay here till tomorrow, it means a lot."

"It's alright dear. What are friends for?"