• thirty-nine •

Start from the beginning

A small smile curved his lips but he kept his eyes forward. "Traditionally, yes, it was called Queenstown. But the Underworld royal line has only produced true king heirs for centuries. So the name was changed many many years ago."

"Hmm." I only said. "Interesting."

"So, what will it be?" He interrupted my thoughts. "German? American? Italian?"

I looked at him in confusion. "Italian?"

"Great." He clapped his hands once and went towards a small shop. "I'm starving."

•••••••••••••

I rubbed my eyes as Asmo explained the Council's weekly meeting.

I summarized what he reported. "So the Duke-"

"Count."

"Count," I corrected through clenched teeth. "Cheated on his wife and it's a matter of the Council." I continued to rub my eyes in frustration.

"Yes."

"Because...?"

"The Countess is is indirectly related to the royal family."

"Oh, my gods," I sighed. "I really don't care." My hands slammed on the table as I dropped them.

I winced at the sudden clatter and apologized to the couple seated several tables away as they looked at me. We were sitting in an inconspicuous table in the furthest corner of the restaurant. Anyone could overhear if they wanted but Asmo assured me no one would. We'd attract more attention if we put up shields to keep our conversation secret and he felt it wasn't necessary.

If the conversation was only petty gossip then I could see why he felt that way.

Asmo shrugged. "You asked."

I sighed.

"You asked to know everything. That's what happened."

I looked at him over my untouched glass of ice water as he finished the last of his meal. It was a delicate dish of spaghetti and seafood, a dish that I wouldn't ever dream of seeing in the Underworld.

Italian in the Underworld? Who knew?

"The Council was entertained at least."

I groaned, my face falling into my hands.

"There is a Duchess that did cheat on her husband--"

"All right," I groaned. "I give up. Stop."

He chuckled. "Isn't this what you asked for? That's what happened in the Council this week."

I looked at him with a deadpan expression. "And that's why you want to meet."

He set his used utensils aside. "No. Of course not." He inched closer and I noticed his hand moved close to my elbow on the table.

I didn't move.

"There's still more to teach you. What else are you doing these days? Working on brawn over your mind? That Julian, he probably isn't working on your best assets."

I could feel my left eye twitch but didn't avert my gaze. "Actually, working on my stamina and strength since I was in a coma and my magic is still weak." I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms. "I wonder whose fault that was." I resisted the urge to toss a garlic roll that sat on a plate between us at his face. "Dick."

He sighed, exasperated. "I've explained to you-"

I scoffed and looked away to the corner of the room. "Yeah. I know."