Bonus Chapter: A Lost & Wild Father's Day

Bam was exhausted. In fact it was far beyond exhausted to where he couldn't even muster up the energy to be grumpy any longer, turning downright mean to his brothers and even his sisters as they were trying to install a small solar energy farm plot. They lost 3 panels in the bay because of Bear's energetic carelessness and Bam could do nothing but watch hard earned money sink to the ocean floor.

"Bear, you fucking moron!" He'd snapped. It was harsh enough that there was no other smart reply, just shifty exchanged glances, "I should make you dive down there to get them. Drown with them for all I care."

His temper sent his children running for home. They were used to seeing him somewhat cross, though being their father had calmed him considerably as well as made him for tolerable and forgiving. But not today. Today he was clearly at his wits end. Blue and JB bounded for home after his sharp words.

"Don't tell Momma that Daddy was being mean," Blue whispered to JB as they slowed their speed once back in the Brown Town clearing.

"Will she make him sit in time out, too?" JB asked as they walked into their fenced entrance.

"Dunno. Maybe...she's sent him to his room and said she was going to punish him before." Blue recalled, "But since Daddy's so grumpy we should make him a super awesome Dad's day gift," She continued, thinking aloud.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The two stowed themselves away in their room, announcing that they were not to be disturbed as Harper was installing the filters for their rain barrel receptacle. They were rather vague about why they'd come back so early and also when Harper had asked how the build on the beach was going. Her children's shifty eyes had been enough of an indicator to tell her that. She didn't need their words.

She'd noticed Bam's rather short fuse with this project. Perhaps he'd spearheaded the job since it was a gift to her. Electricity in Browntown that was more than enough to light a lamp for an hour or two a day. She could have back some of the things that she missed from modern living. She was grateful for his undertaking, but after 7 years, she had become quite accustomed to living they way they did. They visited Missouri for a week or so here and there, so she was more than able to get a taste of modern conveniences then. She couldn't deny though, the thought of a washer and dryer gave her some excitement.

But if he was going to torture the rest of the family with his bad mood, it was hardly worth it. She'd noticed him getting grumpier and grumpier as the days wore on. He slept less and less, up before the sun and to bed well after it hung low in the sky which for Alaska in the summer, was an extremely long day. It also made it difficult for their family planning to continue as they'd hoped. He was far too exhausted to even consider making any sort of romantic night. Harper didn't mind doing all of the work sometimes. In fact, on occasion she rather enjoyed taking the reins. Especially the nights where his limbs were restrained from freely moving while she used his body at her discretion. He often blew like a volcano those nights. But even surrendering to her will wasn't happening lately as much as it was him showering quickly and grumbling himself to sleep.

"Blue! You fucking moron, you spilled my apple juice!" Harper was astounded to hear her sweet son's voice yelling those words from his bedroom. She quickly made her way to their room, not knocking before she swung open the door, her hands on her hips in her best.

"Excuse me young man, what was that you just said?"

JB looked instantly shy, fidgeting and inward.

"He saaaaid," Blue interjected, "I spilled his fucking apple juice. It was an accident Momma, geez."

Both children quieted when they saw the rare occurance of their mother's quiet temper flare. It was now clear to them that the word their father had used was not one that was supposed to be repeated, at least by them.