MDIA [Ch. 3]

My Dance Instructor's Assistant

Previously: "No. I'm not trying out anymore," I admitted. "So you're going to that d*mn try out today and you're gonna make it to the d*mn AUDITIONS AND D*MN-IT YOU'RE GONNA BE ON THAT D*MN DANCE TEAM!" Sophia's voice grew louder and louder with every word. I didn't know what to say. "Oh...kay?" I guessed. . Just as I was walking out, I heard Mr. Wilson call out to me. "Good luck Ms. Quinn, see you in a few." I thanked him silently as I left out the class and headed towards...I guess I'm headed towards the auditorium.

Chapter 3

Before I headed to the auditorium, I stopped in the bathroom so I can change into my dancing clothes. This time I wore fitted black cheerleader shorts that had hot pink lines going down the sides, a hot pink sports shirt that fit perfectly around my abdominal, and an open black button down collar shirt so I won't feel so exposed.

The only skin showing was my chest up, my legs, and the skin around my waist under my belly button. I decided not to where just a sports bra this time, I felt a little self-conscious when Mr. Wilson had walked in and was looking at everyone. I don't know why, but I just felt WAY to exposed infront of him. Maybe it's because he's a grown man and I didn't want ...ugh, I don't even have a good reason. I let my hair fall freely again before leaving the bathroom and heading towards the auditorium.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. I quickly read the text as I was walking.

Sophia: Good luck! Show that b*tch Lisa who the REAL dancer is!

I texted a 'thank you' back to her and when the text closed, I noticed the time. Oh crap! I'm late! School ends at 2:15 pm, try outs start at 2:30 pm, and it's exactly 3: 23 pm! How long did I spend in the bathroom? One thing you should know about Mrs. Holt, she doesn't accept lateness, I learned late last year when I tried out.

As soon as I made it to the auditorium door, I peeked throw the door window. There was a guy on stage doing hip hop, he was really good. He was a B-Boy. I looked towards the judges table. I could only see the backs of their head, but I knew they were all there, and by 'they' I mean Lisa. I was half-hoping she wouldn't show up. When the guy was down Mrs. Holt called another name. "Lucie London!"

I hope Mrs. Holt is going in alphabetical order by last name. The girl went on stage. Mrs. Holt told her something I couldn't quite make out, and then the girl started dancing. I stood outside the door contemplating. Maybe my being late is a good thing. Maybe now when I tell Sophia I didn't try out, it'll be because I missed my turn.

Or better yet, I could tell her that I was late and Mrs. Holt doesn't accept lateness. Yeah, that'll do. "Desiree Quinn!" I hear my name called. I froze. It was silence in the auditorium. "Desiree Quinn?" Mrs. Holt tried again, she sounded disappointed. Murmurs began sweeping the audience as I didn't appear. I noticed Mr. Wilson looked through the crowd with his eyebrows in a straight line, he too, looked disappointed. That's when I saw Lisa looked into the crowd, but she unlike the others, she had a smirk on her face.

I felt my anger boil. Not this time Lisa. This is my year. "Okay...Jeremy Ra-"

"Wait! Sorry! I'm here!" I interrupted as I busted through the door, walking swiftly down the aisles. Lisa's smirk turned into a frown when she saw me. Mr. Wilson's eyebrows rose to their regular height at the sight of me.

Mrs. Holt looked irritated as she motioned me to her. I put my bag down and hurried to the judges table. "Desiree, you know I don't like tardiness," she began. Lisa chuckled under her breath.

"I know and I'm so sorry. Am I too late?" I asked, hoping for the odds.

Mrs. Holt gave a quick look to the others judges, seeing if it was okay with them. Mr. Wilson nodded his head while Lisa shook hers. "Okay," Mrs. Holt agreed. I thanked her and quickly headed towards the stage, handing my ipod to the sound guy, Patrick. I took another quick look at the judges. Mrs. Holt still looked upset. Lisa gave a smug look before whispering something into Mr. Wilson ear. He smiled a little at her before turning his attention back to me.