Chapter 8 - Dreams or Hell?

The sounds of waves and a cool ocean breeze was the most relaxing sound Eekainine had experienced in well over a month's worth of time. With eyelids shut peacefully, he simply enjoyed the floating sensation the sounds of being at sea gave. He could hear the water running, waves moving along the surface, a quiet yet tranquil state of being filling his blank mind. The more he allowed himself to enjoy the setting, however, the more odd it seemed to be.

Dark images of being in the woods with Hynorael suddenly flooded his mind. He could clearly see the two soldiers on either side of them, standing guard. That feeling of dread filled his senses once again when he remembered how massive the flames of his wings had been that night. How much agony he had been filled with when given the verdict of his case.

Only then did the sounds of the ocean strike him as odd.

With those bright green orbs shooting wide open, the hybrid sat upright within an instant to relieve his confusion. Eekainine couldn't remember where he had landed after leaving that campsite in such an enraged manner. All he could recall was flying as long as he could before his wings gave out. Any knowledge past that point became a hazy thought in the distance, unable to be truly seen.

Eekainine was, indeed, sitting on the ocean's surface, and that same red and orange sky greeting him so kindly as it had the first time he had woken up in Hell. At first, it had seemed impossible to be sitting upright on the water's surface like he so clearly seemed to be. Although, he soon noticed that his hand was not wet after submerging it below that clear blue water that his eyes tricked his mind into seeing. The hybrid narrowed his eyes in confusion as he stared at the liquid all around him.

The water was there. He could clearly see it.

"You should try waking up for real!"

Eekainine physically jumped in his spot after hearing the voice, his head frantically turning from side to side to locate the owner of that childlike voice. It belonged to someone he had never met, at least, he couldn't directly distinguish or recognize who had spoken up. As the hybrid turned back to look over his left shoulder, his eyes landed on a small figure only a few feet away from him, crouching in the water.

"Who are you? What's going on?" Eekainine asked in a rushed manner, quickly becoming agitated with the situation.

"You're asking the wrong questions." The voice spoke up again, disappointment littering the tone as the figure began to move. It appeared to be a little boy, no older than five or six, taking small steps towards to get closer to the hybrid. He had a pair of dark brown horns poking just a couple inches out above his messy short hair. His clothes were ragged and torn, shorts stopping just above his knees and a white t-shirt that seemed to be so old and barely able to hold itself together. The child splashed in the water, his bare feet pattering playfully as he made his way over.

Eekainine watched the child with curiosity until he was able to turn forward again and get a better look at him in the light of that eerie red sky. "How is it that you can splash and actually feel the water, yet I remain perfectly dry here in my spot?" He asked the question with that sense of pure curiosity, trying to make sense of his situation.

"I dunno, this is your dream, not mine!"

The answer was so blunt and simple, but it only confused the hybrid more. A disapproving frown immediately covered his features, his right hand finding its way onto his forehead to rub at his temples.

"If you're not going to help me figure this out, then it'd be best for you to just leave."

The child stomped his feet a couple times in the water as he folded his arms over his chest, putting the best pout across his face that he could muster. He stared down at the hybrid he now stood directly in front of him, letting a quiet 'hmph' escape his throat.