Chapter 6 - Homeward

The moment Eekainine's body had hit the hard surface of Earthly ground, all his demonic features instinctively began to retract and leave him in an appearance of neutrality. The process seemed unbearable as he dug his fingers against the solid asphalt of the vacant parking lot he had been dropped off at, his entire body tensing and convulsing while he held his breath and hoped for it to be over soon. Fortunately, for the first time the hybrid had gone through a major physical transformation, he had been unconscious the whole time and simply woke up looking like a demon. This time, however, he truly experienced what it felt like to have his body twist and reform itself to match which world he happened to stand in.

After what felt like hours, but was truly only a short few minutes long, Eekainine was finally able to lay against that asphalt and take long deep breaths to relax himself before slowly pushing his strained body up into an eventual standing posture. His eyes ached from the glare of the sun beaming down on the glistening pavement, a shaky hand easily finding its way up to wipe the sweat forming at the top of his forehead as the hybrid did his best to look around and figure out where exactly he had landed on Earth.

The exact location didn't particularly matter to him since he was planning on heading straight up to Heaven from there, but the sense of being in a lost and unknown place sparked enough curiosity to examine where he was. With his sore eyes surveying the surrounding area, there wasn't much but that vacant lot and a few abandoned buildings between some empty streets to give him much of an idea on where in the world he had landed. Eekainine huffed in a short annoyance of not being able to recognize the region of Earth, but also couldn't be too mad at Zekai for dropping him in such a remote location. After all, it would only make matters infinitely worse if some poor human had been present to witness Eekainine's transformation out of his demonic appearance.

"Alright. Let's get this over with. May the Council have mercy for the sins I've committed."

The hybrid gave himself a mini pep talk as he relaxed his arms down by his side, shaking them lightly to loosen the tension in his tired body. His breath fell in sync with the jingles of his bracelets as he mentally prepared to head back up to his homeland, knowing the actions over those couple days surrounding Halloween would surely have spread throughout the land. And the longer he would be gone, the worse it would be for his own well being in the long run.

Once Eekainine had settled his mind to a state of total ease, he began whispering quietly to himself. Whispering the words to an ancient spell that allowed angels without wings access into their homelands. It was a ritual he was so used to performing from over the years of repetitive use, and he could make it work perfectly just from speaking the words than having to set up the entire ritual itself.

Eekainine didn't necessarily lack a set of wings, they were always accessible, but he personally hated having them present on a constant basis. His wings were the only perceived unholy trait he had even back before he knew he had demon blood running through his veins. For as long as the hybrid could remember, his wings were large flames as opposed to the typical gorgeous glistening white wings the majority of angels had. And since they were seen as taboo, an unsightly thing to lay one's eyes upon, Eekainine chose to keep those wings on his back hidden. It was so easy to put out the flaming wings and gave him a harsh reminder of how flawed he was in his species' eyes whenever he let them out. Eventually, it just became easiest to his emotional and mental state to master the transportation ritual, as well as a number of other magics that would aid him in the absence of a set of wings.

It only took a couple seconds before the hybrid felt as though his body suddenly dropped into a free fall. It was a rather odd sensation to become completely limp but also be in absolute control, all the while whispering some ancient language with his eyes shut tight to shield his vision from the inevitable bright white light of transportation. He could feel his breath hitch and tighten up as his body began to enter into Heaven, but a new sensation suddenly managed to pull him out of his intense concentration.