Chapter 1 - Read Between the Lines

The bellowing of a book slamming shut in the silence of the library jarred Eekainine out of his studies. With white knuckles clutching the edge of the scroll his nose had been previously stuck in, the hybrid's fierce emerald eyes shot up to the disturber of his peace.

"You've already read that one," a soft feminine voice contrasted the echo throughout the vast library. "I mean no disrespect, Sir Eekainine, but I fear you may be wasting your time. This is the four hundred twenty-seventh time this text has been checked out. By solely you."

"Thank you, Ai. Your concern has been noted," Eekainine couldn't help the sarcasm laced within his own voice, despite the accuracy of the point the librarian was making. "However," he continued in a more serious manner, "there is no such waste of time when the better of someone's life is at risk. Especially when the life at hand happens to be my daughter's."

The sleeves of Eekainine's robes trailed along the surface of the table as he rolled up the scroll, tying the ends off with the little red ribbons it had to keep it together. Even though the action contradicted his own opinion on the matter, he knew looking through that particular parchment wouldn't help him any further. He had been staring at the words for hours upon hours, and the letters were starting to blend together in a jumbled mess in his mind.

"Kain," the librarian started again, using his nickname to address him informally as friends, "I understand why you're doing this. I do. I can't help but to think of a limit to what you're doing, though. If you haven't found anything in these texts on hybrids, and the rest of the Council doesn't have any information, maybe the questions you're asking simply don't have answers yet."

Again, she was right. 

The few angels chosen to be on The Council were tasked with keeping the rules and laws of what was considered 'good'. It was the highest honor in all of Heaven to be an Elder on this Council, and Eekainine knew that they had access to the top levels of information and archives that the general public was denied of. 

"I've been serving with the Council for three hundred thirty-six thousand four hundred twelve years. You would think I would have found something, anything, on the subject of demon and angel hybrids by now," he sighed out his words in frustration.

Eekainine's fingertips delicately traced over the frayed edges of the ribbon as he leaned back in his chair, glancing around the library in thought. Heaven's Records and Archives, informally referred to as the library, was unparalleled. The building had over a hundred floors, each dedicated to keeping shelves upon shelves worth of its own specified records throughout the countless years of existence. Eekainine typically sat at a table in the center of the base floor. When he looked up, he could see all the way up to the ceiling despite its far distance away. The library was built in a way to look as open as possible, allowing any and all light rays to shine down the center of the building to illuminate each floor. Staring up into the void of light helped ease the hybrid's stressed mind and clear it of his endless research.

"There just has to be something, Ai," Kain spoke up again, his eyes searching for something within that void. "I simply can't believe that within the entire existence of the worlds – regardless if it be Heaven, Earth, or Hell – that my father, myself, and my daughter, are the only demon and angel hybrids. It doesn't make sense."

Ai let a tiny sigh escape past her lips as she shook her head, knowing whatever she said would be ignored by the persistent Elder. Regardless, the librarian decided to humor the pondering hybrid while beginning to collect and neatly stack up the books scattered among his table.

"You say that every time I see you in here," she stated with a gentle tone, "and your intentions are absolutely justified. Raising a child that is going to face discrimination and hatred in whatever world they inhabit would be a challenge all on its own. However, I have no doubts that you and Inari will do just fine in facing those challenges and preparing your daughter to survive these cruel worlds!"

Just hearing his fiancée's name was enough to snap Eekainine out of his thoughtful trance. The smallest smile crept across his sharp features as he got up from his relaxed state, suddenly eager to return home to see his little family.

Before he could get far in straightening out the mess he had made, however, a pair of delicate yet firm hands physically stopped his own from picking the books and scrolls up. Ai smiled through the light shining down on her from above, illuminating her already glistening, white, magnificent wings and her simple white dress with decorative chains and jewels laced throughout.

"Concern yourself not with the correct placements of what you have been rummaging through, Sir. I know well enough, by now, what all you have chosen to review and where they all go."

"Don't be silly, Ai. I am perfectly capable of--"

Before the Elder truly had a chance to insist on picking up after himself, Ai had abruptly interrupted him. Since they were close friends outside of their professional relationship, she was able to dismiss him and easily send him on his way. If she was dealing with any other Council member, such interruptions would be unheard of and highly disrespectful.

"Kain, go," the librarian commanded with emphasis as she released his hands, "Inari is probably already worrying about where you're at. It's getting late."

Eekainine let out a quiet huff of air, not entirely agreeing with being shooed away, but knowing just how right she was. If he didn't get back home soon, his fiancée would surely question without rest as to why he insisted on spending so much time looking for answers rather than using that time to be with the ones that truly mattered.

"Fine. You win," the Elder pouted in an almost childish way, "but only because it will be late by the time I get home. The last thing I want is to worry Inari on such a night like tonight."

Ai hesitated briefly after processing what he had said, that kind smile slowly drooping downwards. It was October 30th. Of course Inari would worry more than usual.

"You hold a valid point there, my old friend!" Ai chuckled briefly to herself, choosing her words as delicately as possible. "Perhaps it would provide all of us here in Heaven some peace of mind to know you're safe and at home tonight."

Eekainine nodded in agreeance before he bowed lightly to his kind friend then turned to depart with haste from that building of knowledge. It was another unsuccessful endeavor of an evening, leaving the hybrid to ponder over his questions, once again, as he began the trek back home. After all, once Halloween was well and over, he knew there would be plenty of time to continue that seemingly never-ending quest.