Chapter 24

Goldie and I stand in his room, sticking glow-in-the-dark stars one his ceiling. He said (back when I asked him what his greatest wish was) that he wanted to see the stars, so I'm giving him that. I'm trying to, at least. I know it's nothing like the real sky, but he can't go outside to see the real sky anyway, so this will have to suffice.

"There, I think that's all of them," I say as I stick the last sticker on the ceiling and hop down off his chair.

"N-no, there's still one star still one the ground," he says with an adorable yet mischievous grin on his face.

"Really? Where?" I ask, completely oblivious.

He taps my nose. "Right there."

What? I feel my nose to grab the sticker, but then realize it was a joke. I giggle, which in turn makes him chuckle too.

"Oh goodness, I can't believe I fell for that," I laugh.

His smile falters. "What do you mean?"

"I thought there was an actual star on my nose," I answer.

He starts laughing again, but this time it's more awkward. "N-no, (y/n), that wasn't supposed to be a joke," he stutters. I give him a curious look, and his face turns red. "I-I-I was, um, try-trying to... f-flirt with you," He stammers.

Oh, I realize, he was calling me a star.

I can't help but blush a bit. "Oh, uh, thanks..." I start.  "Sorry, I'm so oblivious sometimes—"

"No! You're okay! I shouldn't have said anything—"

"No, no, no! I'm glad you did! It was really cute! I'm sorry I didn't understand what you said earlier—"

We both end up apologizing over each other for while longer until we realize it's going to get us nowhere. Instead we laugh it off awkwardly, then use my phone as a torch to charge the stickers.

After a few minutes of shining my phone's light on the stars, I turn my phone off and turn to Goldie. "Lay down and close your eyes!" I say, motioning for him to sit. He chuckles and does as he's told, laying down on the cold cement floor and closing his eyes. I quickly dash to the door and flick the lights off, then run back and lay down next to him.

"Okay, open them," I say.

I watch as his eyes slowly make their way open, but once he sees the stars, they widen. They dance around the sight before him, flickering from star to star as a smile makes its way onto his face.

"Th-they're beautiful..." he murmurs. I notice his eyes have become glossy. "Oh my lord, they're beautiful," he mutters to no one in particular. I smile at seeing him so happy, sharing his joy.

"Do you like them?" I ask, though I already know what the answer will be.

He turns to me. "Do I like them? (Y/n), I love them!" He exclaims. "I... thank you. Thank you so much," he says, bringing his hand up to his face to hide his smile. I can't help but giggle at how excited he is.

"I know it's not as great as seeing the real stars outside, but since you can't go outside, I figured this would have to suffice," I say with a shrug.

"It's all I could have asked for," he whispers, his gaze fixed on the ceiling. He suddenly turns to look at me, with a sense of gratefulness and adoration is his eyes, then before I can process it, he leans over and presses his lips to my cheek.

My eyes widen as a blush creeps up onto my face. I was not expecting him to do that.

Goldie tenses when he sees my reaction. "Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to— uh I just thought that if I didn't do something now then I wouldn't ever and I just really, um— I'm sorry I should have asked if it was okay first—!"