Chapter 31

We jam out to more 70's and 80's music on the drive home. Chica and Goldie have different tastes in music, though, as Chica swoons over all the love songs while Goldie tends to forget to pay attention to the lyrics. Hearing them sing along and have fun makes for great entertainment, making the drive home fly by. Of course, we have the windows down the whole way so Chica can experience more of the outdoors, and when we get home she insists we open some windows in my house. I comply without a complaint: the house could really use some fresh air. I haven't opened the windows since the accident with my parents, meaning the air has gotten stuffy and reeks of depressed isolation. The warm breeze and the smell of the neighbor's flower garden seems to make the house feel like a home again.

Chica is full of energy, dancing around the house while filling it's walls with the sound of her singing and giggling. She pulls Goldie and me with her, urging us to dance and sing along with her. She doesn't want to be alone in her bliss. Luckily for her, her joy is contagious.

I can't help but admire her as she prances around the kitchen, singing some upbeat love song we heard on the drive here. She's so full of life. She brightens up the place, and she makes this house feel like a home again. This place that only days ago felt so empty yet suffocating, this place that felt so grey, now is filled with life and color. I can't help but smile. I never noticed how much she lights up a room, and it gives me a new level of appreciation for her, especially during a time like this when my world has become so lonely.

She turns around and catches my gaze, and when she gives me her signature beautiful smile, I feel heat rush through my body. Am I blushing?

She prances up to me and grabs my hands. "So (y/n)! What do you usually do when you're not hanging with us at the pizzeria?" she asks. "I want to do everything there is to do outside of that place!"

"I, uh..." I start, but in all honesty I don't have an answer. "...I sleep...?" She looks a little disappointed. "I mean, I was thinking of visiting my parents today..." I mutter.

Goldie and Chica exchange a glance at each other before giving me a shared somber smile. "May we join you?" Chica asks me, her voice soft and sweet as honey.

I have no idea why they would want to join me in something they don't have any connection to, something that shouldn't matter at all to them. Do they just want to make me happy? Do they simply care so much for me that they'd want to join me in something that means so much to me? It's a heartwarming thought that makes the corners of my mouth gently curl up.

"I'd love that," I answer.

It's not fair that Chica spends her first moments of freedom looking out for me. I need to do something for her to celebrate her first time in years leaving that pizzeria. My eyes fall on Goldie as I brainstorm what I could do to make it up to her, but luckily, looking at him gives me the perfect idea.

"Say, Chica, are you tired of that dress you're wearing?"

.:*'*:._.:*'*:._.:*'*:.

Twenty minutes later, my room is a disaster with clothes flown all over my bed and floor. Chica wears a pair of overalls over a pale yellow crop top with little white flower designs scattered all over it, and I have to say, she looks stunning. Not only does the outfit look really good on her, but she seems to be glowing. It's adorable that she's so giddy over something as small as changing outfits, but I guess she hasn't been able to express herself this way in years, so it's no wonder she's behaving the way she is. She doesn't seem dressed for the occasion, but it doesn't matter as long as it makes her happy.

We make our way back out of my house and to my car again, then we drive to the cemetery. The radio plays quietly in the background on our way there and Chica quietly hums along in the back seat as she looks out the window, but Goldie stays silent and looks between me, the road, and his lap. I feel awkward. I don't want to ruin their time outside by making them do something so solemn. They said they wanted to come, but do they really? Are they just "repaying a debt" to me for setting their souls free?