Day 29: Ending

"He messed with my head?"

That's what I'm seeing, Jameson said. It was very subtle so I didn't notice until now, but your memories have definitely been tampered with.

Chase felt more shocked than anything at this discovery, though he was certain it would turn to anger once he got over it. "Can you fix it? Will I be able to get my memories back?"

Real memories, Jameson clarified, But yes. Just give me a moment. . .

There was a sharp pain in the back of his head, then the past began to shift in his brain, twisting and turning until the true memories were back into place. Or rather, the one and only memory that had been changed. 

It was the last time he'd seen Anti, there in that cold snowstorm. In the fake memory, Chase had fought him off the same way he'd fought him off the first time he'd attacked; with willpower and a gun. But this was different. Anti didn't get defeated at all. But then what--?

Oh.

Chase blinked and the pain was gone, but he scratched the phantom ache on his scalp anyway. "Th-thanks, I, uh, I see a difference."

What did that monster change? Jameson asked, genuine curiosity in his eyes.

"I--I'll explain later, I just--I need--I need to talk to Jack."

Jameson raised an eyebrow. Jack? What does he have to do--?

"Excuse me." Chase ducked around Jameson then ran up the stairs, not caring about answering his questions. He just needed to get these lies straight. 

Forgetting to knock, Chase walked in on Jack at his computer, editing a video. He jumped at Chase's sudden entrance, but turned in his chair and waved. "What's up?"

"Tell me the truth about Anti," Chase said. "If he's such a monster, why'd he let me go?"

"Wait, what?"

"You heard me. When I 'defeated Anti', that was a fake memory. He just. . . let us off like nothing happened. You're the only one in this house who might know why so if you do, spit it out."

Jack's mouth opened and closed like he was some kind of surprised fish. After a moment, he stood and closed the door, making sure to lock it before turning to Chase. He tried to get words out, but he seemed to be having trouble finding something to say.

Finally, Jack asked, "What happened? How do you know this? What did Anti do?"

"Jameson wiped away a fake memory of when we fought and I remembered the truth. Anti was going to kill me because he couldn't take me over like the rest of you, but he, like, looked inside my mind or something and just ran. I want answers Jack, because heartless creatures like he's supposed to be don't feel sorry for what they do."

"But that doesn't make any sense? Why would he--?" Suddenly, Jack narrowed his eyes and pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Why don't we find out for ourselves, huh?"

He pressed a few buttons and his phone vibrated like he was making a call. A split second later, the lights flickered and a shadow appeared in the middle of the room. Another second and Anti stood there, fully formed, hoodie over his head and dark circles under his eyes as if he were trying to be emo.

"W̵h͢àt'̢s-͟-" Anti went stiff as his eyes fell on Chase, who glared back at him. "I͡ ̡tol̀d ͢ýou̕ nòt ҉t͡o c͡a͟l̶ĺ un͘l̴es̷s̶ ̴you ̢were҉ ͏alo̡n̶e!̢"

"You've got some explaining to do," Jack said. "You told me Chase beat you. That you lost. Why is he telling me that you messed with his memories and really just ran?"