Day 6: He's Listening

Sam peered out from a crack in their little cardboard box, listening to the loud yelling from just above them. Jack had told them to stay hidden, but they couldn't resist watching the heated argument. They told themself it would be fine anyway; no one was looking at the ground.

"--was just trying to protect himself!" Jack was saying, waving his hands around in agitation. "What did you expect, with you coming up to him like that?!"

"He pu̕ll͠ed̨ ̨a͘ gu͠n̵ ͘on̛ m̷e!͟" Anti argued. "I̛ don'͡t k̛n̨o͜w̨ ab̛o͘ut̴ you, ͢bųt̨ t̡h̷a͠t̸ şe̵e̛ms t̢o me̡ like̷ t̷h͡e mo̴r̢e̢ ͠pr͞e̕s͟si̵ng҉ i̴s̡s̢u̷e̵ ͘h͡ȩr̸e͘!̴"

"More pressing than you trying to hypnotize him?!"

"Tḩat͠'s n҉ot--!"

"Don't lie to me!"

Sam watched the two anxiously, wondering when this would be over. Jack and Anti tended to fight frequently, but this seemed bigger than the normal petty blaming. Something huge had happened and they weren't sure either side was going to come out happy on this one.

"Y̡o̷u͡ ͘ál̛w͢ays͘ d́o͘úb̛ţ m̡é,̴," Anti said, bitterness seeping into his voice. "H̶ow̛ ͏do͡ ͟yǫu kn̷ow ̕w̸hat̨ ̴I wa̢s doing there ͠òr w͠h̕y͘ ͟I ͏àcci̛de̴n͏t͘a̧lly s̷c̶areḑ him̕. ͘Y̴o͠u̧ ha̶v̀e̛n'͠t̢ ̨e̢ven ̶as͢k̕ed͏!͘"

Jack rolled his eyes, something Sam had never seen him do. "Oh, so it was an 'accident', sure. Get out of telling the truth, yet again."

"Í͇͚ ̸͏̩͖͔̬͔͍A̧͎̳̣̕M̵̷̡͇͉͇͓ ̵̼̭̦͖̠̞̙̺͘Ǹ̸͎̼̘͙͉O̢̤̹̮̕T͏͓̣̜̫̜̩̫̪͔͢ ҉̮̯͎͈̬̦̙͝͠L̨̤̳̤͈̺͎Y͚I̡̟̝̥̳N̨̺̜G̨͉̺̕!̶̣͕͠"

Anti was starting to glitch out now, his body becoming just as distorted as his voice. He grabbed at the sides of his head, breathing heavily to try and calm himself down.

Jack was having none of that. "Really? Then explain to me why you even thought it was necessary to do something like that, huh? Can you wriggle your way out of that one?"

"I͘t̸'s҉ ̸how͠ ̸I̛ tra҉ve̴l̛, ҉you ̢k͝now ͏t̢h͝i͠s̸!̢ Cha̕şe̶ h̨ad ̧j͞us̀t̴ ͝ne̢ver̢ ̀sȩen͟ i̢t ̛before̷ a̸n͘d ̨got̨ fr̸e͘a̡k͡ȩd͘ ̡out!͏" 

"That's not the story I heard," Jack countered.

Anti screamed in frustration. "Ṯ̶Ḥ̜͔͓̻͎̪E̼̭͚̘̥̗͔N ̠͖W͚̝͓͔̣H̤A̞̠̜͍T͏͚̜̞̝͓ ͎͕͎̹̱͢D̪̹I͚̤͇D͎̤͇̗͕̹ ̦́YO͚̭͠U͔͇̰̣͕̰ ̜̞̖̫̼͓H̖̜͙͉͟Ę͚̟̙̤̬A̰̞̖̫̩̭͞ͅR?̹̱͈̯͔̩!̨̲̪̦̹̟ ͏̰͇T̻̳͍̩̱EĻ̤̫̖̺̫͔L̳̣̤̟͍̝̹ ̖͕͍͎̯M̙̺͇͈Ȩ͕̤̝̬͎̻ ̛̩̝̖͍̪Ȩ͎̻̝͍̻̲XA̲̯͈̙̖̩̯C̻̀T̗͈̹̝̭͡L̸Y̰̙̤̱͢ ̖̫͜W̰͔̱H͕͡A̴̟̱͍̟̦̫͎T̨̻̗̖ ̤̼̺H̠̟̗͎̗͟ͅE̯̟̯̖͔̯̱ ͈͎͍T̡̗̟̼̙O̯̙L̨̘̥D̵̼̝̼ ̙͇̺Y̯̱̹̥͕͈O̸̜̺͙͉̲Ṳ!͈͓̯͕͢ ̡͖̼͍P̧̻̥̲͙R͎̦̩̙͎͍̼O͈̱͈̮̜̠̕V͉̜̟̗E̪ ̤̭͡T̵̟̹̲̙̜̩O̳̥ͅ ̛͚̻̤M̧̜̻̘̗̤͇E̷̪̝̘͔̺ ҉̘̬T͙̮̠͉Ḥ̯̣A͖͚͓͉̩̬͈͘T̮̼͉̮ ̯̗͖̼Ḭ́'͈̖̜͕͞M͚̫̺͔͔̱ ̶R͉ͅI̧̤̟̗G̨͍̜̟̟̱̘̺H͓̪T͓͉̖̥!̩̙̞̝̩ ̪I̼̻ ̬͍D͙͕̟̘͈̮̕Į͎̮̜̤̖D҉̮̟̘̖N͔'̣̫T̤̤͡ ̩͇T̗̞̠͈̺R͏̬͓̻̖͇͕Y̦ ͈T̸͎͚O͕̠ ̟͡H̝͍̠̥U̸͎̬͎R͏̟͉̳T̪̞̪̜̤̪ ̳̤͔̮͉H͔̩I̷̙̠̳̼M!̷"

"You want to know?" Jack stepped forward, getting right in Anti's face. The demon merely glared. "He said you pulled a knife on him! You were wondering why he pulled a gun on you, THAT'S EXACTLY WHY!"

"W̵hy̴ t͢he͏ ̕h͟e̷l͜l̕ ͏w̸o̶uld I ͡e͡v͘en̷ ̶w͢ant͜ ̧to ̀g̢ut ̀hi͏m?̶" Anti asked, though Sam could tell he was losing his steam. "Y҉ơu̴ ͠know ̡me,͡ I̷'ve ̶ch̀a͞ng̨ed̕!́"

"I'm not so sure you have."

Anti said nothing, but the glitching all around him got even worse, static covering every inch of exposed skin. Jack furrowed his brows, but didn't pay the sudden change of atmosphere any mind.

"You've always hated me, wanted to take control, kill me even! We made a deal that you would stop all of that when the others started showing up, but they've all come to me with weird things that have happened involving you. I'm sick of playing your games, Anti. We're done. The deal is off, get out of my house and don't come back!"

Normally, anti would have just disappeared to get away faster, but he hissed and turned away, slamming the door behind him. 

Jack grabbed a nearby pillow and shouted into it, profanities and curses not fully blocked by the fluff inside. Sam knew he was going to regret this the next morning, yet they couldn't quite settle on the idea that things would go back to normal once they cooled off. Anti had done something big to Chase, possibly something dangerous. Whether he actually had ill intent or not didn't matter to Jack; the argument had happened in spite of his feelings toward the demon.

Sam carefully nudged their way out of the box, then decided against it and retreated back inside. This wasn't their fight. They weren't going to get themself involved with such a touchy situation.

Nervously, Sam burrowed himself into the small blanket that served as a bed, trying to drown out Jack's anger. Hopefully things would be better tomorrow.

~~~

I'm going to regret this one tomorrow morning.

It's still may 9th, I did manage to get another chapter in but at the expense of some precious sleep. Time will tell if this was a mistake.

This prompt would have fit last chapter's story much better than what this is but I already wrote the previous chapter for the "Stories Untold" prompt, so I came up with this. Definitely out-of-character for Jack and unrealistic from my perspective. Still, it was fun to write all the same.

I'm going to bed now, I wish you all pleasant dreams as you sleep!

- the sentient floating eyeball in your kitchen