CHAPTER FIVE

Four months for Claire was like eternity. She began drinking and losing concentration in her job because she could not get Kelvin off her head.

All her life she had dated him but all of a sudden, she just started falling apart and began to find pleasure in other men. Being with kelvin to her was like winning a lottery. He had all the attributes a woman would ever want in a man. His smile alone would melt her heart. She had planned to settle with him and sometimes had fantasies of him proposing to her but all came crashing in one day.

Despite the mistake she made, something in her head kept telling her that she still loved him and would make everything right if only he did give her a second chance. She couldn't let go of him just like that.

Being born and breed in USA by her Nigerian parents, her trip to Nigeria to see Kelvin was her first. Since after that day she met him at his house, she decided to monitor his every move to see the new girl he was pesting on. Of course she did find the girl!

She was jogged back into the present when her friend, Nina brought a bottle of water to the place where they rested after a long hour of exercise in the gym.

"So tell me girlfriend, what's bothering you? You look so down and worn out. Is it still about Kelvin?" Nina asked putting a spoon of the ice cream in her mouth.

"You know already please just stop asking". Claire replied sadly. Her accent was too strong that one could literally think she has no relation with Nigeria.

"I can't believe u will be this sad because a guy. I thought you should have gotten over it a long time ago. This is unlike you!"

"I love him so much can't you get it? I can't let him slip out of my hands just like that. The most annoying thing is that he is following a girl who probably does not love him. My heart beats for him every moment and I must win him back no matter what it takes. Claire said and went back to continue her exercise.

******
After the incident at the eatery, Maya had not spoken or seen kelvin. Indeed she was sorry but her ego would not let her apologize to him. Her conscience was eating her up and until she did the right thing, she would not rest. Rita had encouraged her to muster courage and go to him. After a long time battling with her thoughts, she decided to meet him and apologize no matter what happened.

She had earlier told her boss that she would go some where so he granted her the permission. Luck shone on her when she got to his office and met him arranging his things so that he could leave.

When he saw her at the door, he pretended as though he did not seen her. She on the other hand was tongue tied. Her mouth was open but the words refused to come out. They stayed like that for over a minute before Kelvin finally decided to break the silence.

"What brings you to my office?" He asked still concentrating on what he was doing

"I actually came to apologize for what happened in the eatery. I'm really sorry. I gave a second thought about it and I realized I wronged you. I'm sorry. She aired out and sighed. Where she got the courage surprised her.

"So?"

"I hope I am forgiven and we can remain friends". It was really killing her that he didn't even lift up his face from what he was doing. "It seems you are busy so its a wrong timing. I will probably meet you some other time". She said and made to go.

"Maya!" He called her. She stopped and slowly turned back. He was facing her this time with one of his hands tucked in his pocket and the other on the desk. "I know you will never date me but give me a chance to help you. He said

"How do you mean? She asked confusingly.

"Rita did tell me about your family. I hope you are not mad at her" He said moving towards her and finally settled in front of her.

"That's not a problem so I don't need any help" she replied him and pouted her lips.

"Ok...... If you say so, I'll respect your decision. He heaved a sigh and went back to his desk and returned with a letter in his hands. "This is for you. Take it".

"What's the content?" She asked

"My company will be going for a business trip next weekend and it will last for a week. We need some medical personnels to back us up in case of any unforseen circumstances. I have already discussed it with James, your boss and he came to a conclusion that you together with two nurses and him will be joining us".

"Thank you for the offer but I can't come. I have Important things to do rather than travelling".

"You are not coming with us to play. You can consider it as a field trip. This conversation is over. Go and meet your boss and lay your complain. After all he choose you not me" Kelvin replied with a pint of anger in his voice. She is just too stubborn. He thought. Truth to be told, he really wanted her to come. The business meeting would take only 3 days to complete while the remaining four days, he intended spending it with her even if he do not communicate with her.

"Alright then. I'll meet you when you are back" She said and walked out of his office.

Kelvin just stared at the door as she walked out. He wasn't the person that murdered her family so why then is she pouring all the anger on him? He wondered before going back to what he was doing.

Chapter 5 has been posted💃💃. Please let me know your thoughts in the comment section. And anticipate the next chapter. What do you think will happen? Will she follow him to the trip or she will continue to refuse as usual?