CHAPTER THREE

“Can I have this dance?”
Maya turned to see Kelvin gesturing on her, a large upturn palm was held in front of her in invitation. She smiled but deep within her, she knew that was the last thing she wanted to do. She was having fun watching an old couple dancing when he tapped her on the shoulder.

There was something she admired about him and that was his neatness and his dressing code. His teeth glittered as he smiled. He had his hair dyed which made him more handsome. His brown eyes never stopped examining her from head to toe.

He had been waiting   for her for a long time and when she finally came, he left everything for his assistant to continue. He was enthralled by her whole personality. She was gorgeous. No wonder he couldn’t think straight.

  “But I can’t dance” she replied, her hands arranging the edge of her long gown.

“That’s why I am here to teach you”.

He answered looking at her without blinking. She tried to do same but obviously, that did not happen. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before managing to mutter

“Okay”. She rolling her eyes. She knew he will not give up without a fight.

He carefully guided her to the dance floor. She gasped when his strong arms encircled around her tiny waist and she placed one of her hands on his shoulder. He was much taller. His warm fingers closed around hers as they began to sway to the music
“more love”.

The lights dimmed and mirrored globes on the ceiling created what looked like spiraling stardust around them.

“You are beautiful”

“I’ve heard that several times actually” she answered coldly.

He decided to stop talking and concentrate on the dance. Then their tangled again. He was studying her. What could he classify her as?
His golden moments came to an end when one of his workers approached him and whispered into his ears. He cursed under his breath. Anger was written all over his face but he was helpless. He had responsibilities.

“I’ll be back soon”. He mouthed causing her to wimp.

“By then, I’ll be gone”. She said sarcastically.

Kelvin gave her one last stare before leaving. He could not just place his hands on what caused her cold attitude towards him. He handsome and rich. Why can’t she like me at least?

Maya was tired of waiting for him. Her patience was running out and she had waited but he had a lot to round up as the host. She hated staying out late. While they danced, it felt like the most natural thing. Each time he brushed his hands over her, it send shivers down her spine. She cherished those moments but there was a problem. She never believed in love not to talk of loving a rich guy. Not after a prominent rich man murdered her whole family before her very eyes. If he had had a pinch of love in his heart, he would have realized that her family was humans and not animals.

That night was a horrible and blood shedding one. As usual, her parents and two siblings had settled in the sitting room to see a movie while she went to answer to the nature’s call. Then suddenly, she heard gunshots which made her froze on the toilet seat.

With trembling hands she struggled to wear her clothes and ran out only to see her two siblings lying in a pool of blood. She immediately hid behind the cupboard but could view everything that happened. She overheard her father telling them that she had gone for holiday at her aunt’s place. His plea for mercy was ignored.  She recognized the face. He came to their house to ask her father to sell their house but he refused because it was passed down from generation to generation and he was also to pass it down to his son.

She almost screamed when she saw the man fire bullets into her mother’s chest and then finally her father. They made him watch as they cleared his family. She lost four most important people in one day. Right from that day, she hated rich men because they would always do whatever it takes to do what they want. They wouldn’t mind spending a lot of money or shedding blood to achieve their aim. Shortly after the burial, she was taken by her aunt who trained her till she became independent.

A touch on her hand interrupted her thoughts.

“I’m sorry for keeping you waiting and thanks for waiting. You know me really…..”

  “It’s okay. I have to go now. Thanks for having invited me. I had fun”

“You are most welcome sweetheart”.
He replied, studying her countenance. Something was definitely eating her up but he didn't want to presurise her into saying anything.

"Just because I danced with you does not mean you should give me endearing titles. I have a name remember?" She told him emphatically.

As she made to go, Kelvin held her on the wrist. She stared at him with pale eyes praying hard that he did not do what she was thinking.

“Give me your number so that I can call you later”.

She dipped her hands into her bag and brought out a small paper.

“Here’s my card” she stretched it in front of him.

He took a glance at it. Wow! Beauty with brains. He had no idea she was a doctor. The next thing he did shocked her. He leaned  closer and gave her a peck her on the cheeks then squeezed her hands and said “Have a good night rest doctor”.

“And you too”.  She answered absentmindedly trying to regain her composure. His actions really took her off guard

He decided to walk her to the car but she declined immediately. As he left, she ran a finger on her cheeks. No one had ever done that to her. She didn’t even consider dating. She was still a virgin at the age of 25. She never even had her first kiss yet. Her work as a doctor was her only priority. But that one peck made her feel things she had never felt before.

Yay! Another chapter has been posted. Did you think she was still a virgin? Do you also think she will give Kelvin a chance? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section. Don't forget to follow, vote and recommend to your friends 😁