Chapter 15

Xander POV

I run up the stairs the second her scream reaches my ears, "Aurora!"

I could feel my heartbeat in my ears as the thunder shook the house. When I reach the door to where my mate is, I throw it open, nearly splintering it as it slammed against the wall.

Wind blew through the room as rain pounded against the walls. The storm outside seemed childlike to the hurricane that was in the bedroom. Water soaked everything as a bolt of lightning shattered the window.

Amongst it all, Aurora laid on the bed. She was thrashing and screaming, her eyes held closed. Realization dawned on me in that second. She was trapped in a nightmare and she had created a storm because of it.

I didn't understand what she had meant earlier when she had called herself an elementalist, but I was started to understand it now.

"Aurora!" I try to yell again, pushing into the room and towards her. She was thrashing in the sheets as she continued to scream. I felt her crippling fear run through our bond, causing my heart to clench.

I nearly reach her side when her arm slams against the mattress. A force of wind shot out towards me, throwing me off my feet and into the wooden dresser near the door.

"Xander!" I heard Ellie scream over the storm as I slammed into the oak wood. The dresser shattered under me. I felt the pain in my left side before I even looked down at the injury. Blood soaked into the t-shirt I wore.

Shaking off the pain, I turned back to Aurora. Her screams continued to fill the room.

Mate, Kai whimpered in my mind as he tried to reach out into Aurora's mind.

Trying to get to her again, I use all my strength to push against the rain that was currently pounding against me. Reaching the bed, I saw her arm reach out, about to slam down once more. Moving as quickly as I could, I wrapped my fingers around her slim wrist, pulling her against me on the bed.

"Aurora," I call out to her. She continued to thrash and whimper as her nightmare kept her trapped. Grabbing onto her other arm, I tried to stop her from moving or hurting herself, "Aurora!" I yell, my alpha tone seeping into my tone.

Her eyes snapped opened, fear the only emotion I could see, "Shh," I whisper to her, trying to calm her erratic heartbeat. A moment later, realization seemed to dawn on her as she pulled herself from the effects of the nightmare, "You're here. You're safe."

The downpour of rain in the room stopped as the lights in the house flickered on again. I pulled her tight against my chest as she continued to cry. I looked back to Ellie as she stood in the doorway, Give us some time. We'll talk later, I mindlink her.

She nods her head in understanding, If she wants to talk, she drops off, offering her help.

I know, I tell her before she leaves the room. Aurora clutches my waist tighter. I notice out my window that the storm that had been pounding against the house was slowly dissipating.

"Aurora, sweetheart," I softly call out to her. Her whimper reply felt like I had been stabbed in the heart, "Please, Aurora."

She loosened her arms around my waist as she sniffled back another sob. Her focus is on my upper chest, trying not to look me in the eyes. Gently cupping her face, I wiped the remaining tears from her face with my thumbs for I tilted her face up to mine.

When my eyes caught hers, I saw the broken stare she gave me.

"Aurora," I whisper, leaning my forehead against hers. I lightly rubbed my thumb against her cheeks as my other fingers brushed her wet hair away from her eyes.

"Xander," her voice cracked.

"I'm right here," I tell her, trying to keep her calm. Her eyebrows furrowed as she took in my soaked hair and clothing. She turned her head and scanned the room quickly.

"Did I do this?" she asked me, her voice barely there.

I lightly nod my head, "I think so," I tell her honestly before asking her what I need to know, "Can you tell me what you were dreaming about?"

She stills before a moment as if debating with herself on whether she can tell me, "It was... it wasn't a dream," she tells me, "It was memories. I couldn't get out," she whimpers out the last sentence.

I pull her against me again as she wraps her arms around my waist. I hiss in pain as she squeezes my side. Immediately hearing the sound, she pulls back with a questioning look. Placing her hand in the same spot again, I flinch at the contact.

She draws her hand back to reveal blood staining it, "Xander, what happened?"

"I'm fine," I tell her, knowing the cut wasn't that deep and that I would be healed by tomorrow.

"You're bleeding. How did you-" her question cuts off as she catches sight of the destroyed dresser from the corner of her eye. She turns her gaze back to me, fear and guilt clearly in them now, "Did I do that to you?"

I shake my head vigorously, "No, Aurora. I'm fine."

"I hurt you," her voice cracks as tears form in her eyes again.

"Aurora, look at me," I tell her as she shakes her head. Cupping her face, I draw her closer to me, "You didn't hurt me."

"But-"

"But nothing," I cut her off, "You were having a nightmare. You didn't have control."

"But you're bleeding," she whimpers. I could feel the bond rack with guilt.

"I'll heal," I tell her defiantly, "The only thing that matters is that you're alright."

"I'm sorry," she tells me, shaking her head before wrapping her arms around my neck, "I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm fine. Everything is going to be alright," I tell her. She nods her head into my shoulder as I rub soothing circles into her back.

I keep her in my arms, occasionally kissing her head, as I continue to whisper sweet nothings into her ear.