FOURTY FIVE

As the opposing gangs raced down the two way street towards the old bridge, Manic's black impala quickly took the lead.
"Shit," Madelyn swore as Malachi swerved his car into hers. Both Archie and Jughead were worried, they hadn't expected the Ghoulies to play dirty. But Madelyn wasn't surprised. She jerked her own wheel to the side, hitting them right back.
As they approached the narrow bridge, Manic prepared to floor it, knowing that only one of their cars would make it across. She was dead set on it being hers.
But, as she went to slam her foot down on the pedal, Archie reached over and pulled the break, causing the car to come to a screeching halt.
"What the hell, Archie!" Madelyn yelled, both Jones' glaring at the redhead.
"Why would you do that?" Jughead asked.
"Trust me, Jug, you're gonna thank me for this." As the words left his mouth, the sound of sirens echoed from just beyond the bridge.
Madelyn's heart dropped, and she got out of the impala, rushing towards the bridge. Both Archie and Jughead jumped out after her.
"Mads, stop! Manic! Come on, we gotta go!" Jughead yelled at her, grabbing her arm and dragging her back to the car.
They climbed back in, Manic whipping the car around and speeding back to the abandoned parking lot where Ghoulies, Serpents, and Bulldogs alike rushed to leave.
"You called the cops?" Tall Boy seethed, "you won't throw down with the Ghoulies, but you will with the cops? Where's the honor in that?"
"You think we knew Keller would be there, asshole?" Madelyn asked, a sneer on her face.
"I called Keller," Archie said. Manic couldn't stop her jaw from dropping, her glare settling on the redhead.
"Are you fucking with me?"
"Did my dad tell you about this, too?"
"No, this was my idea to get rid of the Ghoulies. It worked. They get arrested for racing, they're off the chessboard."
"For how long? One month, two months?" Manic asked, staring at the redhead like he was an idiot, you know what they're gonna want on the other side? Your head on a fucking stake, all of ours!"

Madelyn sat at the bar of the Whyte Wyrm, a scowl on her face.
"What's wrong princess?" Toni asked, drying a glass off behind the bar.
"Other than the fact that everyone thinks I cut a deal with the cops of all people?"
Toni sighed, "no one thinks that."
"That's all I've been hearing about, TT."
"No one thinks you did it though. They think your brother did."
"Like that's any better," Manic rolled her eyes.
"Considering the fact that your the next in line, it is."
Madelyn wouldn't admit it, but she knew her friend was right. If the gang actually thought she snitched, then she could never take over.
"Listen," Toni started, leaning on the bar top in front of Manic, "all this will blow over soon, it's not like any of us got caught. I'm sure everyone will forget in no time."

It was the next day when Manic received a call from none other than the snake charmer. Unlike her brother though, she knew better than to answer and let it ring until it stopped.
"Who's that?" Cheryl asked from her position on her bed. The two redheads were getting ready for school. Madelyn was applying her makeup at Cheryl's vanity while the other redhead was waiting for her to finish.
Madelyn finished applying a bright red shade of lipstick before answering her friend.
"Probably some scam," she lied, "you ready to go?"
"Yeah, lets go. Practice starts soon." Manic nodded her head, standing up and grabbing her bag before walking out of the bedroom with Cheryl.
As Josie, Cheryl, and Manic walked through the halls after the redheads had changed out of their cheer clothes,  Josie was complaining about her recent move to the Five Seasons, but Manic couldn't find it in her to care about it. Sure, it wasn't an ideal situation but it's not like the girl was living in a dump.
Eventually the trio made it to Josie's locker, continuing their conversation.
"The black hood has my mom on edge and she has me on edge, and when I get stressed, the polyps on my vocal cords swell and I loose my voice," Josie vented, "on top of which, I'm going behind the Pussycats' backs, working on songs without them."
"You feel like you're sinning, and the Black Hood is going after sinners. I get it, and you're allowed to feel guilty," Cheryl told her friend.
"Up to a point," Manic cut in, giving the singer a pointed look.
"But," Cheryl continued, "I slipped that vid of you singing 'Milkshake' to that producer at Shabbey Road Studios, and he was adamant about giving you-and you alone-studio time."
Josie was happy to hear that someone, a producer no less, was liking her voice, but couldn't stop the guilt she felt about going behind her bands back.
Unlocking her locker, her face fell as a light brown teddy bear was revealed. A purple note attached to it that read 'I'll be watching you'. Josie pulled it out her locker, showing it to her friends.
"OMG, another gift from your secret admirer?" Cheryl asked, a playful grin on her lips.
"Gotta get a new lock, that's the third gift this week," Josie complained, obviously not happy about the gifts she'd been receiving.
"Who could this mystery bae be?" Cheryl asked, Manic gasping playfully before choking in.
"Ooh, maybe it's the Black Hood?" Madelyn walked her fingers up Josie's arm, the girl playfully smacking her hand away.
"You know he loves writing notes."
Josie glared at her friends, "that is not funny, Cheryl, Manic."
The red headed teens simply shared a smile before walking off, heading to class.