Chapter 65 | What Do You Want?

Start from the beginning

Arcturus and Cassiopeia hated that Euphemia was still friends with half bloods, muggle lovers and blood traitors and they had soon realised that no matter how many times they tortured Mia, her spirit wouldn't break and she wouldn't change her beliefs.

Their only way to ensure that they didn't lose Euphemia completely was to trap her in an arranged marriage to Orion and Cassiopeia was smugly certain that Mia wasn't going to back out of it now, especially as the couple had already had their engagement ball and the wedding date was planned for the summer of 1952.

No going back now Euphemia thought dully to herself, fiddling with the pretty engagement ring on her ring finger that Orion had given her on the night of their engagement ball, two weeks prior.

Mia had obviously acted delighted with it in front of all of her family and the tears that had started in her eyes as she looked down at the ring that was the key to her locked future were simply accepted as happy tears.

"You took your time," Cassiopeia said irritably as Euphemia descended the staircase, holding her skirt delicately so that the pretty silk didn't drag on the floor, even though the marble was obviously impeccable and probably wouldn't harm the dress in any way.

"I was trying to look my best," Mia lied coolly and Cassiopeia rolled her eyes before scanning her daughter up and down, giving a little 'hmph' of approval before she gestured for Euphemia to walk into the ballroom.

"Orion is already waiting for you," her mother informed her and Mia felt herself freeze before the sharp poke in her back from Cassiopeia prompted her to move forward, a sense of dread filling her.

The Black Manor ballroom was decorated lavishly, as was the case every single year. There were decorations strung around the elaborate room elegantly, streamers and banners wrapping around pillars and other parts of the room.

The tables that surrounded the polished dance floor were all draped with the same pristine white tablecloth and each one had an assortment of goblets and wine glasses amongst stacks of plates that were placed beside the miniature banquets of food that the house elves had prepared.

The dance floor was already flooded with couples swirling each other around to the rhythm of the music that was emanating from a golden wireless seated in the corner of the room.

Orion was stood beside Alphard, the two of them conversing politely in their smart suits, the latter looking rather irritated by what the former was saying but not letting his irritation show past his polite smile of interest.

"Hello," Euphemia greeted her cousins, walking elegantly over to them after her mother had hissed in her ear to go and talk to them.

"Hi, Euphemia," Alphard greeted in slight relief, cutting Orion off from whatever he had been speaking about. Orion also greeted Euphemia with a slight level of disdain but he did peck her on the cheek, disregarding her look of disgust.

As Euphemia discreetly wiped her cheek, Alphard gave Mia one of his warm smiles that immediately put the girl at ease and she grinned back.

"You look beautiful," Alphard complimented her, taking her hand and placing a gentle kiss on her knuckles and Euphemia beamed at him, wondering why Cassiopeia hadn't matched her up with him as, out of all of her male cousins, she liked him the most.

At least Alphard would be a respectable and kind husband and he would probably make Mia content in her marriage, not miserable as she knew she would be once she was bound to Orion for life.

"Yes, you do indeed look beautiful," Orion agreed with his older cousin, sending Euphemia an assessing glance with a smile that didn't quite reach his cold eyes, making Mia feel rather uncomfortable.