Chapter 7 | Paper Aeroplanes & Flashbacks

Hi, I think you're all amazing and thank you for all your lovely comments. They all make me smile when I open them :) Please recommend this book to anyone you might think will like it! <3

The Herbology greenhouses were situated half way down the hill that led down to the Quidditch pitch and the groundskeeper's lodgings and the winding path meandered all the way down, with no paths leading off of it.

This meant that, in order for students to get to the greenhouses, they had to cut across the grass and go around the large flower garden in the centre of the lawn.

Due to the rainfall that had happened overnight and earlier that morning, the grass was actually incredibly slippy and rather clogged up with a lot of soggy leaves, that gave Euphemia the impression that she was traipsing through soggy cornflakes.

It was a stark comparison to the leaves of the early morning that she had seen, the ones she had imagined to make a crunchy noise if you stepped on them. Now it was not the case.

Unfortunately, Mia's smart, sensible school shoes were not suited at all to scrambling down a hill that not only sloped downwards quite rapidly and made your ankles twist over but one that was plagued by rain and slippery leaves.

She almost fell onto her backside at one point, wobbling all over the place as she kept a death grip on her school bag that was placed precariously on her shoulder.

Cursing mildly under her breath, Euphemia somehow managed to make her way down the very steep hill, that had no path whatsoever, without actually falling flat on her face. A great achievement for a Monday morning.

By the time Euphemia had actually reached the greenhouses, she feared she was late and so quickened her pace, disregarding all the precautions she had just taken so that she wouldn't slip in her haste to get to the classroom on time.

In fact, she very nearly fell again but managed to catch herself at the last minute, though her bag took a tumble, much to her displeasure.

Groaning, Mia picked up her now wet school bag and attempted to dry it off a little with her hand which didn't make any difference at all, instead just dampening her hand.

Luckily for Euphemia, the class had only just started settling down as she entered, looking a little disheveled and she was aware of a muddy stain on her once pristine white sock though she was hoping no one else would notice.

Professor Herbert Beery was the teacher in this class, as it had said so on Greenhouse One's door, which was battered and had some sort of fungi growing around it and so Mia looked around for him as soon as she was in the classroom, ready to apologise for her tardiness.

However, he was nowhere to be seen as far as Euphemia was looking, her eyes scanning the loud and chattering greenhouse, all the Slytherin and Hufflepuffs sat down at their benches, also looking around expectantly though Heather was sat atop her desk, saying something darkly to Walburga, who had her eyes narrowed.

Euphemia saw Pomona Sprout seated right at the front, her blonde pigtails rather messy and framing her face, which was lit up with a happy smile. Florean was also in this class and he waved at Mia as she walked in, shaking his head playfully as she was late.

A joyful, booming voice suddenly caught Euphemia off guard and she almost jumped out of her skin as Professor Beery came strolling into the greenhouse, his arms filled full of trays that were crammed with some sort of plant growing in them.

"What on earth are you still doing stood up, girl?" he cried out, ushering her out of the way as he dumped the trays carefully down on his desk.

"Sit down, sit down," he waved her to a seat and Euphemia took that as an opportunity to apologise.