Chapter 45 | For Euphemia

The excitement that Euphemia felt when she was waking up on Valentine's Day was actually unreal. She didn't know why she felt so excited, she was still pretty sure that Charlus had asked her out as a sort of joke but Mia was also hoping that he hadn't, that he had actually asked her on a date because he liked her.

Her excitement was also mixed with a hint of nerves because the last date she had been on had been with Jackson back in third year and that hadn't actually ended very well. Not well at all.

If Euphemia remembered correctly, she had stormed out because Jackson was showering her with compliments and it had irritated her beyond compare.

Of course, it had been nothing to do with the fact that Charlus had been snogging some other girl in the corner and Mia had been irrevocably jealous. Of course not. Pffft.

For this date, she was eager to impress though and Euphemia grabbed Eileen so that the girl could help her get ready and actually look decent for once.

Mia decided to wear a blouse with puffy shoulders and heart patterned sleeves that hugged her wrists as she pulled them down with her fingers.

Euphemia then placed her denim skirt on, tucking the blouse in so that it all connected as one outfit as she paired it with some white tights and some canvas boots. 

Seeing as it was still winter, Mia didn't want to risk freezing so she placed her blue cardigan over the top of her white blouse and denim skirt, letting the comfy material hug her figure and Eileen cooed at how nice she looked.

"Do you not think I look too young?" Euphemia worried as she looked in the mirror whilst brushing her dark locks out, deciding to leave her hair down for the day.

"You look great," someone said from behind her and Mia span around in surprise to see Mary smiling hesitantly at her and she didn't know what to do or say for a moment before she simply nodded gratefully in Mary's direction.

"Your cousin, Charis, is asking to see you, by the way," Mary informed her and Euphemia exchanged a curious look with Eileen as she shrugged and finished tying a light blue ribbon in her hair (one of the ones that Florean had bought her for Christmas, as a matter of fact).

I wonder what she wants Mia thought to herself before she walked to the dormitory door and peered out, almost colliding with a pale looking Charis.

"Charis! Is everything alright?" Euphemia exclaimed, placing her hand on Charis' arm in concern but her cousin flinched away from her touch, looking pained and upset which immediately sent concern coursing through Mia's body.

Charis had always been the most cheerful and most positive one out of all Euphemia's cousins and it was strange to see her looking worried and tired, as if she hadn't slept all night.

There were dark shadows underneath her eyes and her pupils were wild and darting everywhere as Charis breathed in and out quickly, like she was trying to savour the air before she drowned in the worries of whatever she was stressing about.

"Not really, no," Charis practically whispered, looking around cautiously for any eavesdroppers which made Mia feel rather alarmed as she leaned in to hear what Charis had to say.

"Do you want to come to Hogsmeade with me today? I just feel like hanging out with you, I want to keep an eye on you, you know?" Charis tried to put it casually as she couldn't outright tell Euphemia about what was going to happen because then Druella would fulfil her threat of killing Callidora.

To be honest, Charis didn't really know what was going on - just that there was going to be an attack that had been planned for ages and she didn't want her cousin to be in the crossfire.