Chapter Ten

----------------------------------------------------------

A change of scenery can do so much 

----------------------------------------------------------

The ride back was a long one. Lexi kept hearing her own screams and the robot's faces. All she wanted to do was to kill that girl for making her relive her family's deaths, she wanted to get back at the witch for making her feel the pain she no longer felt after years of moving on. Lexi would've flown her way to the witch and killed her herself.

They landed on a farm, not the city she thought they were going to. With his shield on his back, Steve picked Lexi up and walked across the field with the shaking and shivering girl in his arms. Clint led them into the house and Steve put Lexi down and held her up against his body.

"Honey, I'm home," Clint called while letting Natasha stand on her own. A heavily pregnant lady came around the corner and stares at them, she looked at Natasha's and Lexi's sickly state and her face fell a bit.

"Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead." Clint said apologetically. The woman comes closer and kissed Clint. Clint turned and faced the team.

"Gentlemen and lady this is Laura." the mood in the room is an awkward tension and Lexi could hear the small footsteps of children running into the room. The kids jumped on Clint and he hugged them in return.

"Did you bring auntie Nat?" the little girl asked, Natasha visually cleaned her appearance and walked forward. Lexi buried her head into Steve's chest, the little boy reminded her of her brother. 

"Why don't you hug her and find out?"

"Sorry for barging in on you," Steve said, he held Lexi close to him as he felt her go limper and limper in his arms, he was now practically carrying her at the moment.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed," Tony said, he too noticed that Lexi was in very bad shape. Lexi was slowly losing consciousness as the conversation was going on. 

She felt Steve place her on the couch as he left the room to go and talk to Thor. Laura and Natasha came forward to help the younger woman.

"Lex," Natasha whispered, she gently shook Lexi's arms. Lexi opened her eyes and looked around the room for a bit and looked at the women in front of her. Natasha grabbed her hand while Laura grabbed a washcloth.

"Hey, Nat," Lexi whispered. All Lexi wanted to do was sleep but she knew that Nat wouldn't allow her too. The little girl came up to Lexi and stared at her. Laura came back and started cleaning the dirt off her face. Lexi's suit was covered in dirt but she didn't care, it was a battle suit anyway.

"Come up, let's get you some fresh clothes and a shower," Laura said, Lexi nodded and Natasha pulled her up gently. Nat guided her up the stairs and into the first room. Laura got some clothes from Steve that had brought a bag of clothes from the jet. 

Carefully Lexi got her suit off and headed into the shower. The warm water falling from the showerhead calmed Lexi down a bit and woke her up. 

Lexi got out of the shower and saw Natasha waiting so she could shower. Lexi smiled at her and Nat left the room so she could change in peace. Lexi changed and headed downstairs so she could see if Laura needed help. 

Lexi didn't count for how weak she was so when she walked down the stairs she started tumbling and falling down. Luckily Steve was there to catch her at the bottom.