01

~

~

Jimin clutched the armrests, fingers straining against the plastic material as the plane lurched downwards. His knuckles were white and he forced his tired eyes to open — not from any fear of flying, but quite the opposite.

He chanced a glance out of the window to take in the picturesque landscape of Busan that enlarged with every drop in feet.

Busan had always been Jimin's favorite place to go to whenever he felt overwhelmed. The city was a perfect mix of Seoul's dynamic and vibrant city vibe and Jeju's relaxing atmosphere and gorgeous subtropical landscapes.

A dazzling view of the sparkling blue waters below greeted Jimin as the seatbelt sign flickered on. He stared out the window, stomach lurching more due to excitement than the turbulence as the plane descended lower and lower. He could now see the black tarmac of the runway. As the wheels touched down and the plane bounced the slightest bit before speeding down the runway, Jimin felt his ears pop. He was instantly reminded of when he was a little boy and would cry in pain whenever his ear got blocked while the plane took off or landed.

Some passengers did not bother waiting for the seatbelt sign to switch off before they sprang out of their seats and started taking their bags from the overhead bins. Jimin rolled his eyes and regretted having traveled in economy. He had reasoned that there wasn't much distance from Seoul to Busan and had deemed a business class ticket unnecessary. But as he watched the passengers struggle to leave the aeroplane faster, he wished he had traveled in business after all.

"Sir," Jimin turned from his seat to face a stewardess who was giving him a concerned look. Her burgundy lipstick suited her maple skin tone. Her chestnut hair was drawn back into a tight bun and a cyan cap rested atop her head. "May I help you with your luggage?"

Only then did Jimin realize that he was the only one still seated and that the line of passengers had considerably decreased. He smiled politely at the stewardess and shook his head, bowing a little bit. He noticed her eyes trail down to his mouth for a split second before she averted her gaze and smiled back. Her burgundy lips stretched apart, revealing her pearl-white teeth. Jimin had to admit, she had a pretty smile.

"Thank you for flying with us," Jimin heard her speak as he grabbed his laptop bag from the overhead cabin and joined the line.

It was midday, perhaps the worst time to arrive. As he stepped out of the plane, Jimin could feel the heat reflecting off the tarmac. It was hard to breathe. The air was heavy with humidity and smelled of diesel. He was sweating before he even reached the last stair, and the arrivals lounge proved to offer not much relief. Part of the air-conditioning was broken and Jimin soon found himself trapped in a confined space with three hundred people and no windows. The terminal building was more like a futuristic mall than an airport building.