Chapter 44

It's hard to get back into writing ahhh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days passed and Adrien still wasn't able to shake the weird feeling. It was just so bizarre of his father to do that.

Marinette and Gabriel hadn't had much interaction. Hell, Adrien almost got into big trouble for being with her and people labeling her as his girlfriend.

Well she is now, but that's besides the point.

"Hey dude, you alright?" Nino asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm fine," he replied.

Nino glanced over at Alya who just shrugged. Marinette walked in, a little late as usual, and sat down in her seat next to Adrien. When she turned around to face him, he didn't look back.

She blinked in surprise and turned to Alya and Nino. The couple shrugged. Marinette turned forward again and reached for Adrien's hand, giving it a small squeeze.

He gave a small squeeze back and she smiled. Granted, he still hadn't looked at her but now she knew it wasn't because of her. Something else was bothering him.

Class started and neither of the three were able to ask what was bothering Adrien. The couple knew of Gabriel's internship proposal, but from Marinette. Adrien had yet to express his concern to the group.

Class rolled by and it was their lunch break. The group walked to their usual place.

Adrien sat quietly while the others talked. He was trying to figure out why he felt off. Shouldn't he feel happy? Marinette could be getting a fashion internship with a famous designer. That was her dream.

So why did it feel wrong?

Alya turned to Adrien, noticing how tense he was. "You alright, Adrien?" she asked. "I'm fine," he replied.

Marinette frowned. She poked him to get his attention. Adrien looked up and she mouthed, 'No you're not, you've been off these past few days.'

"Days?" Nino asked. Marinette nodded.

'Is it because of the internship? You started acting weird after your father left.'

Adrien sighed, "Kind of?" Alya frowned, "What do you mean 'kind of'?"

Adrien sat up and proped himself on the table. "Look, I have a weird feeling, it's not that there's anything wrong with Mari getting the internship. That's great! I know it's her dream.

"But something just feels to wrong and I can't pinpoint what."

He sat back. "It just doesn't sit well with me. 'Inspiration?' Inspiration for what?! He hasn't been doing much. Much less anything related to you. And that story of him seeing your designs? Bullshit!

"He's planning something, he has to be. This shit isn't adding up!"

"Woah dude! Chill!" Nino placed a hand on his shoulder. "Yeah Adrien, you're overthinking this," Alya added.

Marinette only stared at him with a sad look. Adrien turned to her and grabbed her hands. "I'm not saying you don't deserve it. You do! You deserve the world Mari. But I don't trust him. Something is just so off. Please be careful around him?"

Marinette nodded slowly. Her high was coming back down and she began to think. It was odd for Gabriel to just offer an internship. And if his story was true, he only saw one of her designs.

Alya and Nino exchanged worried glances but let it slide.

The group finished their lunch and went back to class. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

When it came time to leave, Alya and Nino left first. Marinette was still getting her things and Adrien was waiting for her.

As they walked out of the school, they saw people running away from the center of the city. Marinette and Adrien looked at each other.

They nodded and hid to transform.

The two heroes made their way downtown and noticed Ladybug already there.

"What's the akuma today?" Chat asked. Ladybug groaned and pointed towards a screaming child.

The child was in one of the city gardens, screeching at everything and destroying plants and sculptures.

Marinette covered her ears and and cringed at the noise. "Another fucking akuma related to noise?!" Chat groaned out. "Hawkmoth, you son of a bitch."

Chat let out a loud groan then extended his staff. "Let's get this shit over with."

"Don't take it out on the child, Chat. They're a victim," Ladybug raised a brow. "I know, I know."

The three heroes took out their weapons and jumped down to the child.

They took a similar approach of Ladybug and Chat Noir distracting the akuma, giving Marinette time to sneak up on them.

Since it was a child, the fight was over rather quickly. Annoying, but over.

The three heroes ran off quickly, wanting to avoid the news. Marinette had stayed a secret for now.

No one knew of her existance and she was perfectly fine with that.

The three heroes walked to a cafe as civilians. Since the fight was over so quickly, they had time to talk about the past few attacks.

After ordering and getting their food, the heroes got to talking. 'Is Thomas with your fiance?' Mari asked.

Jasmine nodded, taking a sip of her drink. "Hey, don't y'all have homework?" she raised a brow.

Marinette and Adrien just shrugged. Jasmine shook her head, "Don't fall behind on your grades!"

"Ok mom."

Jasmine sent him a glare and Adrien smiled. "Ok, seriously, let's talk about the akumas. These past few have been noise related but we haven't been able to piece together why," Adrien began.

"Tikki, Plagg, and Mullo all said it's most likely not because he wants another hero. Maybe it's just a new approach?"

Jasmine hummed. Marinette took a bite of her bread. She hadn't really thought about Hawkmoth. She was so focused on the intership opportunity.

Adrien turned to Mari and noticed she drifted off. "Where'd you go princess?" he asked. Marinette blinked and blushed a little.

'Sorry, I was just thinking about the internship,' she smiled sheepishly. Jasmine let out a soft chuckle. "You inspired him." She paused, then laughed.

"Maybe you inspired Hawkmoth too." Both girls laughed.

Adrien froze.

"She's been a great inspiration to my work."

Inspiration...

Marinette is mute...

These past few akumas have been noise based...

Adrien felt lightheaded.

Jasmine and Marinette noticed. They both perked up quickly. Marinette placed her hand on top of his. "Are you alright, Adrien? You look so pale!"

Adrien looked up at them, fear in his eyes. "No, I'm not ok."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What direction do you think the story will take? 🤔