Chapter 22

It was still break, a few days before new year and Adrien decided to have the class meet up somewhere nice. He'd suggest a picnic but it would've been too cold. So he decided to take the whole class out to lunch.

"I am holding a new year's dance!" Chloe stood up after lunch. "Ladybug and Chat Noir are invited, of course!"

Chloe paused and made an annoyed face, "And — as requested from Ladybug — everyone in class is invited too."

The whole class knew what she meant by 'everyone'. Marinette. Chloe strongly disliked Marinette and tried anything to get under her skin. (Of course it never worked).

When Chloe invited Ladybug, LB asked who she was inviting. Chloe said she was inviting everyone in her class but Marinette and Ladybug frowned. "Why not?" Chloe scoffed, "Because she's so. . . weird!" Ladybug blinked in surprise. "Is it because she's mute?" Ladybug asked, narrowing her eyes at her. "No, no! It's just. . ."

"Chloe it's not nice to exclude someone, invite her. Please?" Chloe sighed. "Fine."

The whole class cheered at the news. "It's formal, so girls wear gowns and guys wear suits. Don't worry about the cold, the interior will be warm. Daddy was kind enough to get two limos to transport everyone. Get into two groups and decide where the limo will pick you up."

Marinette tuned out the rest of what Chloe said. She looked down at the ring and smiled. Chat was going to be there. Meaning she was going to get the chance to dance with him. She wondered what Chat would look like in a suit. Probably very attractive.

Alya noticed Marinette's dreamy state. She raised a brow and smiled. She turned to Chloe and asked, "How public is the event?"

Chloe thought for a moment. Her face softened, "Not very, actually. Paparazzi and news casts won't be allowed in. So it's a private party. Ladybug requested it that way. Which surprised me a little, Ladybug usually doesn't care about that and is fine with making a public appearance."

Adrien looked at Chloe. Ladybug requested a private party? Chloe was right, it was unusual for Ladybug to ask for that. Then again, she had been acting rather strange lately. She took longer on patrols and tired rather easily. Perhaps something in her personal life?

His train of thought was stopped when he heard Alya's giggles and teasing words. "You'll be able to dance with Chat without worry!" the dark skinned girl said with excitement. "How cute! You and Chat dancing. Him wearing a suit and you wearing a beautiful dress!" Rose chirped.

Marinette blushed and Adrien chuckled to himself. Then he froze. He was invited as himself and Chat. And he was going to be looked for as both. Chloe was going to want to be with Adrien and Marinette was now looking forward to seeing Chat. Maybe he could come up with an excuse as to why Adrien couldn't go. Chat definitely had to go.

"I won't be able to go," he spoke up. The entire class turned to him. "Why not, Adrikins?" Chloe pouted. "I'm busy that day."

Chloe frowned, "Your father's still not here. He won't be coming back til after new year. Besides, what could you possibly be doing on new years eve?!"

Adrien sighed, "Work. My father filled up my schedule with shoots." It wasn't a lie. He did have something that day. It was early and he could make it to the party but he wasn't going to say that. Actually, he wasn't even going to go to the shoot. The photographer cancelled. Of course, no one else needed to know that.

Chloe scoffed, "Fine." He smiled at his success.

The class agreed that the boys would take one limo and the girls would take the other. The party was in 3 days so everyone parted ways almost immediately to go out for clothing.

The girls all went to the mall — except Chloe and Sabrina. They went from store to store. They all tried on numerous dresses varying from color and style. Princess dresses; elegant gowns; modest gowns; showy gowns; pastel colors; dark colors; nude colors.

The girls spent the entire afternoon searching for dresses and shoes. Eventually they all found a dress.

Rose found a pink gown that was midlength and poofed in the front and had a tail in the back. It was adorned with flowers and specks of gold. Juleka found a similar dress, only less poofy and a shorter tail. It was simple, only a dark violette and lace sleeves that reached her elbows. Both their dresses off the shoulder.

Alix didn't want a dress. She opted for an elegant body suit. It was a dark green with long sleeves that were loose and adjusted at the legs. Mylene chose a flowery gown, much like Rose's, only no tail and longer and of various colors to match her hair.

Alya chose a dark red gown with a fish tail. It was sleeveless and reached her neck. It had a sweetheart neckline and lace from there to the neck. Everyone found a dress, except Marinette. Marinette still hadn't found one. After the endless searching, she just couldn't find one she really liked.

After all the searching, Marinette sat on a bench upset. All her friends had found their dresses except her.

Alya sat next to her and rubbed her back. "Hey it's ok. We'll go looking tomorrow, ok?" Marinette sighed and nodded. "Good, now let's go get some dinner, I'm starving."

.

Marinette got home late, almost dark. She threw herself on her chaise, frustrated. She could've made her own dress had she known in time, but the party was only 3 days away. That wasn't enough time.

She heard a knock on her window and got up to open it. Chat stepped inside, a grin on his face as usual. He saw her look and his face dropped. "Princess, what's wrong?"

'I couldn't find a dress.'

"For Chloe's party?" Marinette nodded. Chat looked away and thought for a moment. He looked back at her. "What's your dress size?"

'36'

Chat grinned. He gave her a kiss on the forehead and left, uttering a quick goodbye. Marinette just stood there confused.

~~~~~~~

Size 36 French is about size 2-4 American (: