Chapter 11 - The Deal

"They made warriors out of children"

Chase Evans

Ignoring the curious stares that people were trying to conceal, I turned my gaze to where my grandparents were seated and started walking towards them. I never liked events especially those that were held in my house with an innumerable amount of people. I hated being forced to interact with people I didn't even know just for the sake of my father. The smiles, the compliments, everything was so fake and forced. Above all, I despised doing it to please Nathan. It's lamentable to hate your own father. Even sadder to have one that portrays a monster. A monster who keeps you from getting to meet the person you love at all costs.

The house was inundated with people. I was not surprised since we're talking about an Evans Ball. A mesmerizing music caught my ears and I looked around to see where the music was coming from. My eyes landed on a blonde slim guy who was seated on a bench tapping on white and black keys causing a peaceful symphony to be heard. I reached my grandparent's table and took a fry from my grandma's plate throwing it in my mouth. I could feel the piercing glare my father gave me, as always I ignored it.

"Glad to see you son, sit here my boy." My grandmother grinned when she noticed my presence and pushed back the chair beside her for me to sit. She was the only person I am proud of sharing blood with. She was the only one I felt proud of calling family and who made life almost worth living. She was the one who took care of me soon after I was born. My father took me from the hospital directly to her house and discarded me there. That's were I had spent my first ten years. Ten freaking years with a barbarian grandfather.

I picked another fry from her plate and threw it in my mouth again.

"You still haven't adopted proper manners. Still a disgrace to the family, I see" The old man beside my grandma said. His wrinkled skin was hidden by a black tuxedo, his white hair was neatly combed back and as always he showed a taunting expression. But that didn't scare me anymore.

"Please Jacob, don't start." My grandma narrowed her eyes at her husband.

"I see you haven't stopped spitting crap out of your mouth" I retorted. This angered him. He quickly turned his head to glare at me. Jacob Evans always gets easily irritated by bad attitude especially when he is rudely answered back. Since I was a kid I am not able to control my attitude nor my anger. Because of that, I have a few scars printed on my body.

"Listen here young man, you better shut that little trap of yours before I shut it up myself." He said gripping his walking stick so vigorously his knuckles were turning white.

"Be my guest, if you can even stand up in your own, of course." I let out a humourless, dark chuckle.

Jacob abruptly stood up from his chair and so did my grandmother. She placed a hand over his shoulder telling him to calm down. I watched him with a grin on my face not letting the tranquility leave my body.

"Son, please let's not create a turmoil here," My grandmother looked at me with pleading eyes and for her sake I nodded looking away.

My eyes landed on the table a bit far from ours which had people lightly chatting and laughing including the girl who was in my bedroom, her long dark curls swayed as she enthusiastically chatted and her green eyes twinkled. She argued with a guy that looked similar to her. They both had auburn hair and green eye-colour. They seemed to be childishly arguing as she stuck her tongue out at him and he rolled his eyes. I wonder what was going on in her mind when I catched her looking at my mother's picture earlier in my bedroom. She didn't even hear me get in the bedroom.