Chapter 9 - The Bedroom

I've always liked people who say 'the night is young' - Atticus

I looked through the window to see that it was not at all the sight I had expected. It is more like the mansion even the begars in our town would avoid, it is the town's biggest, creepiest and spookiest mansion I have ever seen, the type of mansions people would use to make horror movies. Honestly, it gave me chills just by imagining I would be getting in this house. Neither my parents nor Keith commented anything about the mansion. But I saw the weird looks they were giving the dark-coloured mansion. We got out of the car and my dad offered his hand to my mom and she willingly accepted it. As the four of us walked towards the entrance the thud-thud noises of my mom and myself's stilettos were clearly audible. I wore the dress Eve and I chose at Classics. An off-shoulder long red dress which showed half of my back and looked like it was made specifically for me because of the way that it fitted my body. Which is a miracle, because looking for nice clothes for myself or clothes that fit my body or any clothes at all for me is like dating Leonardo DiCaprio when you are not a model. Impossible.

After sometime we enter the extravagant yet simply decorated ballroom. The inside was nothing like the outside. People were talking to their acquaintances in soft voices around us. My eyes roam around seeing if the man whom stepped on my foot and left a bruise was anywhere close. Seriously, what was his shoe made of? Bricks and nails? Fortunately, I only saw the older Evans. Nathan Evans straightaway noticed us. At first, I think he got a little surprised by our presence but you never know if it's just your imagination when you're talking about a cold person that shows no emotion at all. He starts walking towards our direction.

"What a honour it is to have you here," He greets extending his hand for my dad to shake and his formality never going out of place. Intimidating.

"The honour is all ours," My dad replies shaking his hand.

"Ms. Lewis" he nods at my mom and her lips curve to what I would call a forced smile.

"I made sure to locate you in one of our best tables, if you may follow me," He said and started leading us towards our table. As I approached the table I noticed Noah's parents and Eve seated, they immediately smiled at us and I felt a little bit more comfortable. The four of us sat on our chairs and politely greeted the others around us. 

"You look nice," I complimented both of them and got a seat besides Eve.

"As always," Noah winked. I rolled my eyes. Eve was wearing a peach colored dress and Noah was wearing a tie matching Eve's dress color.

"Where are your parents?" I directed my question towards Eve.

"Busy," she replied.

"As always," Noah repeated rolling his eyes. Surprisingly Mr. Evans sat with us. The first thought that came in my mind was 'Shouldn't he be seating with his family or something?'. Then I saw that it was the perfect opportunity to execute my plan. He was about to start conversation with my parents when I talked first.

"Mr. Evans, what a beautiful mansion you have," When I complimented Mr. Evans residence I caught a glimpse of Noah, Keith and Eve giving me an 'Are you nuts look?'

Ignoring them I continued, "I can't imagine how fascinating the Evans-Tech must be,"

"Grateful for the compliment Miss Lewis, Luckily one day you might get to visit Evans Tech." He responds. I smiled. He turned his attention to my parents again but I continued before he could say anything.

"That would be a privilege. I am certain that every employee is lucky to be working there." Inwardly I felt like throwing up, outwardly I did my best polite grin.