Chapter 12 - The Shades Of Blue

"She is made of depths even the ocean couldn't fathom." - Jessica Katoff.

Unedited

Chase's lean figure disappeared upstairs into an expanse of darkness. "Wait!" I called. "Chase!" He did not seem to hear me.
I walked up stairs trying to follow him. My intuition screamed to me that there was a fishy history behind that photograph. The curiosity was eating me alive but before I could reach him he was long gone. Ugh.

All of a sudden I heard strange whispers and nearly jumped out of my skin. I looked around to see nothing but a haunting darkness. Maybe it was just my imagination. I continued my way to Chase's bedroom but stopped in my tracks when I heard whispering-arguing voices again.
Okay, this is certainly not from my imagination. It was anything but the sound of my heels thudding on the grey concrete floor. I decided to take them off and continued to walk. I could use them as a weapon just in case. I spontaneously followed the voices instead of Chase. My curiosity was at its peak. The goosebumps in my arms were appearing, multiple shivers ran down my spine and the air seemed to disappear. As I walked further through the corridor, the voices were getting closer. A faint light came from the room where the voices originated from.
I started walking faster. When I got close to the room I hid behind a massive elegant vase.

"I expect total competence from you!" A voice hissed. I instantly recognised the owner of such voice. "Are you done with all the paperwork? Is the park mine?" Nathan Evans impatiently asked.

"Y-yes S-sir, it is now in your ownership. You are only left with  the L-lewis Dinner to buy." Stuttered a young man.

"Is that so? alright, you can disappear from my sight now. As for Lewis Dinner, I'll handle that." Nathan Evans concluded. Their steps started to approach. I kept hidding and watched as the two men in tuxedos made their way out of the room to join the sea of people downstairs. I got out of my hidding spot and let out the stock of breath my throat was holding. Nathan did not give up the dinner. He had another plans to get it whether my parents were willing to give it or not. Could he take extreme actions? Criminal actions?

"Kylie, here you are!" I let out a shriek and threw my heel at the direction of the voice. Luckily it hit the wall. "Mom," I sent her a sheepish grin.

"What are you doing up here? Gosh, what was that for?" She flabbergasted and dramatically placed her hand on her chest. I ran to the wall and pushed my shoe out, "I needed to use the bathroom." I took a small elegant frame from a table and covered the small round hole.

***

I poured the green tea on the delicate teacups and handed them to my parents. "So are you going to tell me how you know Mr. Evans' wife?" I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean sweetheart we never met Ms. Evans" My mom said, confusion was plastered on her face.
"The picture," I rolled my eyes. "Which picture Kylie?" She questioned.