CHAPTER TEN

I woke up to the sound of my mum's voice calling my name while she gently tapped me on the cheek, I could see the worry in her eyes as she asked me, 'Chloe! Are you okay, why are you on the kitchen floor?'
        I sat up feeling drowsy and tried to recall what happened and that's when the memory of me throwing that glass came to me. 'I think we need to go see a doctor because the other day you complained about an headache and now I find you passed out on the kitchen floor. Are you okay what happened?'
           I had to quickly come up with an excuse so that she wouldn't be worried, "I came in to get a glass of water when suddenly, I felt light headed and the next thing I knew, I woke up to the sound of your voice." I replied. 'Get up let's go to the hospital.' 'Mum I'm fine. I was probably just dehydrated or something, I don't think I'm really ill, you know I hate going to the hospital, in fact it makes me sick. There is nothing to be worried about, you know I never get sick.'  I tried my best to give her the best puppy dog look I could come up with.
        'Okay, I will watch you for today but if I find anything out of place, straight to the hospital with you. Go up to your room and rest. Oh honey and when you feel better, we will have a discussion about what you did to you hair.'
       I let out a groan in frustration as I knew that discussion would be a long and tiring one.

-----------------------------
       That Monday morning, I stood outside the school waiting for my friends to come so we could go to class together when Jessica walked up to me. To say I was surprised would be an understatement, she is a part of the popular group that normally hanged out with themselves and ignored us mere mortals because they were too beautiful and perfect to mix up with us.
        'Hello. I am Jessica, you are Chloe right?' she said to me. 'Yes, thats my name. Hello.' I replied. 'I have wanted to talk to you for sometime now but I did not have the chance. We have biology together and I can tell you are very smart, I am finding it difficult to keep up with the scheme, can you help me?'
       'Okay, I can do that. Just tell me when you are free and if I have the time we can fix a study session.'
      'That will be great thank you. How about after school today?' she asked. 'Yeah that works for me. See you then.'
         'That's cool.' she said while giving me a wave and walking towards where are friends where gathered. Still dazed about what just happened, I heard Katie say to me, 'Was that Jessica I just saw talking with you, I did not know you were friends with her.'
      'She came to ask for my help with biology, I am as surprised as you. Where is Jane? You guys are lucky you made it on time, in about five more minutes you would have been late.'
        'Jane called in sick, she caught a cold. Let's go in for homeroom before we are late.' Together we walked to our classroom.

        After biology class, Jessica dragged me to the cafeteria. 'I wonder what they have for lunch, I am so hungry. I hope that it will be good, the potato porridge that they prepared on Friday was horrible.' She was talking so fast that it became difficult for me to understand what she was saying. I could feel the gaze of the students on us and could practically hear them murmuring, 'isn't that Chloe, how does she know Jessica, are they friends?' I shudder to think of what story they will come up with this time.
        'Come sit with me on our table, you will love the guys. I am sure they will be psyched to see you.' she said to me while leading me towards the direction where one of the popular crew sat, her crew to be precise.
         'Maybe another time, I want to sit with my friend. We have some things to discuss.' 'Okay, see you after school for our study session.' She gave me a little wave and walked to her friends.
        I sighed as I turned around to see Kate staring at me, "I guess you guys are close now." She said to me when I sat down and I just shrugged it off.

........
        After school, we went to a park to study for biology before heading home. At home, I practiced controlling my powers before going to bed and this time I did not pass out from exhaustion. I was itching to get in the water for a swim but I could not go out as my parents were around. Lying on my bed, I wandered why Jessica approached me today because I did not believe it was just for studying because among her friends, one of them should be good in biology because they are all freaking smart.
          It did occur to me though that it was probably because of the changes I experienced this past month. Thinking back now, most of her friends had similar changes happen to them in middle school and even Jessica herself also changed a bit then.
         They are very beautiful, very smart, the top of the class in whatever they attempt and most of all, they stick to themselves as if they had something to hide. They did not even date girls or boys outside their group. It was almost like they did not see us and we did not exist in their world and now all of a suddenly one of them is trying to befriend me just after I had undergone weird changes too.
        I will have to sit with them tomorrow at lunch to see if I could learn something because it just occurred to me now while facing this dilemma, if mermaids are real, does that mean other supernatural creatures like werewolves, vampires, elf's and the likes are out there. If they are, are they dangerous and if dangerous how will I protect myself and those I care about.
        Whatever answers I can find will be greatly appreciated and if they do turn out to be supernatural, I pray they are not dangerous. This was the last thought that ran through my mind as I drifted off to sleep.

__________AUTHORS NOTE________
Thank you for reading this book, please don't forget to vote, add to reading lists and leave your comments so I can improve on my mistakes.
Thank you.