CHAPTER EIGHT

On my way home from school, I bought a hair dye and scissors to see if I could fix my hair.  After dying it and trying my best to cut it back to its former length I went to bed feeling satisfied with what I had accomplished only to wake up the next morning and enter the bathroom for my morning routine to see that my hair had reverted back to the way it was yesterday. I covered my mouth with my hands to prevent a scream when I saw my reflection in the mirror, letting out a sigh I mumbled, "I guess all of my efforts yesterday was a wasted endeavor, I should have suspected something like this would happen and save myself the stress."
           I decided to head to the beach to explore this new tail of mine, I had always loved the ocean and everything about it but I was too scared to explore it although I never could explain why I was scared or why I loved it so much. Once my family went on a trip  in land and at first I was happy to go camping with them but as soon as we settled in and I could no longer perceive or hear the ocean in the wind, I started feeling listless and depressed. We had to return earlier because me and my parents thought I had just fallen sick because I was not used to the outdoors and being away from home but I knew that that was not the reason. Yes I missed home but the home I missed was the ocean. As soon as we got back and I could breath it in and see it again I regained my vigor immediately and since then I just knew I needed to be close to the ocean although I did not know why, I guess I should not be that surprised that I turned into a freak of the sea, I had always been a freak.
       Getting to our special cove, I entered the pool and watched as my legs changed to tail. After observing myself thoroughly I used the underwater entrance to get to the sea.  Breathing in the ocean made me feel alive and as the air passed through my gills, I could feel every cell in my body sing with joy as if they had been starved for too long. The reef looked so beautiful and schools of fish were swimming around me, it was bright and filled with the color of life, it was all so amazing and I never wanted to leave the warm embrace of the ocean that welcomed me home again.
     Everything was going fine and I was happily  exploring and discovering new things while enjoying the amazing sights the underwater world had to offer when I suddenly felt a great sense of danger.
         I swam up and saw that I had swam farther from shore than I thought I had, I did not know that I could swim so fast and before I could marvel at that new knowledge I was hit with another dose of that feeling, "Danger!!" This feeling kept increasing and every fiber of my being screamed for me to run even though I could not see what I was running from, I felt my heart beating very fast and loud like a drum. Suddenly something swam by me very fast, 'What was that.' I thought to myself and for a moment it felt like the jaws of death were enclosing around me. I could tell that whatever that was it was very large and definitely dangerous, immediately I dived back into the water and looked around to try and see what it was. I let out a scream filled with fear as bubbles covered my face when I saw that two sharks were swimming around me.
      A lot of thought ran through my mind at that moment and the most prominent one was, 'Just stay still, that's what they say in class right, sharks can't see and hunt by smell and what they hear. I have no injuries so definitely no blood for them to perceive so I just had to stay still and pray that they will leave me alone.' I tried my best to stay as still as possible and even held my breath but I guess nobody gave these sharks the memo on how they were supposed to behave, they kept circling me and angling closer as if they knew exactly where I was and I was their prey. Fear seeped into my veins and I thought I would die without my family knowing what happened to me and that thought made something snap out of whatever fear filled daze had gripped me before, I had to get home, the zeal to return back to my parents alive made me dive down and start swimming as fast as I could.
    I looked back only to see that the sharks were hot on my tail, they refused to let me off like I was an enemy of their kind or a delicious cuisine that they have not tried for a while. Whichever one it is I was not going to stop and ask them but rather I increased my speed and to think of a way to survive. At the bed of the ocean I saw some rocks forming different underwater caves, I headed in that direction hoping that there was a cave big enough for me to hide inside. After swimming around the rocks for a while, I realized i was stuck, it was a dead end. There was nowhere for me to go either upwards or downwards and there was a gigantic rock at my front, I was stuck with two ginormous shacks hot on my heels.

AUTHORS NOTE---------------------------
Thank you for reading this book, I would love your comments on how to better improve my writing and please, add this book to your reading lists and share with friends so I can get more readers. Thank you. Please note that I am editing as I upload new chapters in case you find any chapter repeating itself, just skip ahead.