Chapter 25 ~VLAD~

Start from the beginning

There it was, the reason for Hunyadi's complete turnaround. He needed Vlad. Needed Vlad's expertise in Turkish ways and tactics. Needed his insight on Mehmed.

Vlad had different needs. He needed allies. He needed power, the kind that amassed armies. The kind Hunyadi could give him. That, however,required Vlad to give up his vendetta against Hunyadi, to overlook Hunyadi's hand in his father's and brother's death.

Vlad's predicament—much like those faced by his father—humbled him. But not enough to lessen the bravado he would need to win Hunyadi's respect.

"Düşmanımın düşmanı dostumdur." Vlad folded his arms. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

"An apt adage, and especially appropriate when our mutual enemy prefers war to peace." Hunyadi watched Vlad for signs of indecision or duplicity. A quick flinch, sudden squint, or tensed jaw. All he saw was Vlad's arrogance.

Vlad did not speak—silence was an effective negotiating strategy—and waited for Hunyadi to make an offer. The silence stretched. Courtiers and councilors stopped their side conversations to watch this contest of wills.

Hunyadi ended the standoff with an offer. "A man with personal information about Sultan Mehmed would live in Sibiu without fear for his life."

Vlad remained silent though his heart leapt. Sibiu! His boyhood home.

Seeing Vlad's indifferent expression, Hunyadi sweetened the deal. "He will enjoy a position in my court."

Vlad's lips pressed together, blinked.

Hunyadi tried another tactic. "You will receive a military appointment in my army."

"Alea iacta est." The die is cast. Vlad bowed. Though he was now diplomatically shackled to Hunyadi, at least they were gilded chains. "A gracious offer. Favorable to both parties."

#

John Hunyadi rather liked Dracula. He was impressed by Dracula's gift for foreign languages, his skilled court etiquette, and insights on Turkish military tactics.

The ladies at court fell for Vlad's charms. His seductive tales about life in a harem inspired them to lift their skirts and spread their thighs. His recitation of Turkish poetry made the virgins swoon.

Not all of Dracula's time was spent at court. He often visited his wife in Sibiu and whooped for joy during one trip when Crina announced she was with child. For once in his life, Dracula felt like things were finally going his way. Even his trip to Hungary was a success. Vlad swore allegiance to King Ladislas—a formidable alliance—after which the king appointed him protector of the Transylvanian Diet. For the first time since he could remember, Vlad was happy. Truly happy.

That happiness leached from his heart during the return trip to Hunyadi's castle when a messenger delivered a letter from his home.

A son! Dracula ripped open the letter with eager hands.

Prince Vlad,

I regret to inform you that Lady Crina died in

childbirth. Your son, cut from his mother's womb,

lived less than a day.

Vlad crumbled the letter in his fist and took off at a gallop. He couldn't let his men see his tears.

#

Fall 1453

"A row of impaled bodies rings the city like Satan's halo." The rotund emissary's hands drew a large circle in the air.