Surprise, surprise!

Finally, a day free from all those pricks at work.

Gavin yawned as he stretched his arms out a bit, hearing a few cracks coming from his back. It was a quite relieving feeling, to be honest. It made all the stress and the thought of those annoying people at work go away.

He turned onto his right side, picking up his phone from the nightstand as he scrolls through his social media.

No one. Literally no one has congratulated him yet.

It didn't bother Gavin. It was like any other birthday. Same as every other day of the year.

He groaned loudly, put his phone back down and quite literally covered himself under the blanket completely.  The warmth of the blanket comforted him in some kind of way. Many people think of him as a cold and heartless man, and to be honest, that wasn't a lie. Did he care? Totally not. Especially when he got told those kind of things by an android. A fucking piece of plastic, trying to make him feel bad. Pathetic, really.

A knock on his door interrupted his thoughts, deep inside Gavin would like to punch this person straight on their face.

"Fuck off." He said annoyed, sitting up straight as he throws the blanket off of him.

"I'm here to deliver a package." The person said, a male probably. Gavin really didn't want to waste all of his energy on this prick who was standing in front of his door, but maybe he should.

With a deep sigh, he got up, throwing on sweatpants and a t-shirt. Gavin then made his way towards the door, opening it just a bit to peek at whoever was there. "Yeah, just give it to me." He opened the door a bit more, the young man, at least that was what it looked like, handed him the package. Gavin shut the door and turned around as he carefully placed the package down.

His fingers then rummaged through the drawer, trying to find a pair of scissors to open whatever was in there.

Just a brief second later his eyes finally landed on what he was looking for. Gavin picked it up, shutting the drawer as his gaze went back to the box. He opened it, just a bit too rough maybe.

He folded the sides open to be greeted by a box of chocolates with a letter attached to it. The sight of it disgusted him. Too cheesy and romantic, no matter who it came from.

Gavin first took the letter out of the box, opening it and reading in a soft whisper what was written on it.

'Dear detective Reed,

Happy birthday. I wasn't quite sure if you liked chocolates, but the Internet recommended me to give you this. Have a great day, Reed.

Conan, RK900.'

"Pfft, who does this asshole think he is. Cheesy bullshit delivering at my apartment." Gavin threw everything back in the box, slouching himself onto his couch, his head leaning back.

And when he finally thought he could rest, his phone rang. Who could that be? Practically anyone, but he just didn't want to talk to anyone work related.

Gavin groaned quite loudly, forcing himself to get himself off of the couch and make his way towards his bedroom to pick up his phone. Once he did so, a familiar voice could be heard on the other line.

"What's so important that you have to call me on my free day, refrigerator?" Gavin asked when he accepted the call, a slight frustrated and tired tone to it as he spoke.

"Have you received my gift?" Conan asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"Yes I have, too cheesy. That's what couples give each other, not colleagues you dumbass."

"Sorry, I will try better next time."

"There won't be a next time. Don't pull this kind of shit on me again, Conan."

Gavin hung up, quite quickly realising that he called his partner by his first name. Gross.

After hours and hours of watching TV, Gavin had decided to go out for a walk. Take in some fresh air and try to make the best out of this day.

He fetched his jacket from a chair and put it on. In the meantime he got his keys and headed out the door. A audible click was soom to be heard, confirming that his door was closed and locked.

The weather was a lot warmer than expected, the slightly warm weather hitting his face when he got out. Seems like he could've left his jacket at him.

Brushing off these useless and dumb thoughts, his mind soon wandered off to Conan. Why? He didn't even know himself. He wondered why, out of everyone, his partner had sent him that. If he really did research online about what he should give, he should've done it better.

Gavin shook his head, looking up as he suddenly got stopped in his tracks. A warm and big hand wrapped around his wrist tightly, it could be anyone's hand, really.

"I don't even care who the fuck you are, but let go off me. It's fucking disgusting." He snapped, turning around to see his android partner, a confused look appearing on his face. Neither Gavin nor Conan expected this reaction.

"What do you want from me?" Gavin asked, pulling his arm back to release himself from the other's firm hold on his wrist. If it was possible, there was steam coming out of Gavin's ear. He was pissed that he wasn't able to enjoy one single free day, without having that dick sticking around and being clingy.

"I just wanted to make sure you were having a great time on your birthday. How'd you enjoy my gift?" Conan raised an eyebrow, wondering what Gavin really thought of it. "It was kind of sweet, but very cheesy though. We're not a couple, you know." He mumbled, feeling the eyes of his partner on him.

"May I ask why your heart rate is increasing so fast?"

"No, fuck off, will you?"

"And your pupils are dilating."

"Shut up!!"

Gavin swung his arm towards Conan. It was only inches removed from his face when he grabbed his arm and pulled Gavin with one fast movement close to his chest. The smaller male was greeted by the warm embrace of android RK900.

That's when he gave in and decided Conan had won and taken control over him mentally and especially emotionally.

"Happy birthday, Reed. I hope you've noticed how much I, an heartless android, care about you."

"Yeah, yeah. It's-"

Before Gavin had the chance to finish, a soft and gentle kiss was planted on his forehead. It lasted for a few seconds, and then, their eyes met. And for the first time, Gavin smiled. A genuine and sweet smile. Conan returned it, the two of them ending up in another hug.

"Gavin, I love you."

A content hum then left Gavin's lips. He was happy with how everything turned out between them. Crazy, the sudden change the android had given Gavin.

Love. That's what it's called.

True love.