Chapter 28- Lesson Number 2: Create a Bond

Does anyone have any suggestions on the book cover? Do you guys think I can pull off a dark-themed cover?

If any of my readers enjoy making covers, please message me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hades

The mortal realm is no place for a god.

Mortals litter the streets everywhere- making keeping up pretenses that much more difficult. The blinding, scorching sun does not help matters either - in my realm, darkness is all I was accustomed to. A sudden change in scenery has had me feeling ill these past few days.

This is why when I step foot on my realm, relief floods inside me. Immediately, my bident materializes itself in my hand, and I feel the darkness seep into my veins and soothe the slight nausea characteristic of this last week.

Beside me, I can tell Samantha is experiencing her own form of contact with the Underworld as she steps through the portal. While my capabilities become incredibly limited in the earthly realm, the essence swirling inside her pendant is potent enough to open us a travel vessel anywhere.

"What is the matter, Samantha?" I ask, noting her silence. All throughout this morning she was unusually quiet- almost pensive. When I arrived at her doorstep ready to pick her up and transport us to my realm, she didn't say much other than a distracted hello. Even now, she seems preoccupied with her own thoughts, perhaps even slightly rattled by the way her lips are curled down.

She looks up at me beneath furrowed brows.

"How do you know the fates didn't make a mistake in choosing me?" she asks absently, ignoring my question. I raise my own brows, surprised. What would compel her to ask a question like that? What's going through her mind?

"The fates do not make mistakes," I answer matter-of-factly. I observe her quietly, wondering why she would ask such a question. Samantha is not one to question herself, it is highly uncharacteristic of her. Something must have happened if she is second guessing herself.

She looks dubious at my answer. Looking off into the distance, I can tell she is thinking about something that happened on earth.

"Why me, then?" she questions, distracted. I raise my brows again and catch a glimpse of her features. This is so unlike her it is concerning. Instead of answering her question, I respond with one of my own.

"Samantha, what is the matter? What is perturbing you?" I ask, placing a hand on her arm and stopping her from walking any further.

She has no choice but to face me. It is then I notice her serious expression. Her eyes are downcast in an unusual shade of despondency, and her mouth is contorted into a frown. I feel my own lips part slightly open, startled.

Samantha is not exactly a cheerful person, but she is not a quiet or melancholy one either. She is typically cool and collected, perhaps even slightly steely. In the short period I've come to know her, I've noticed she is not very expressive of her emotions. I suspect it has something to do with her father- since she seems to have taken after his persona.

Today, however, her worried and troubled features are on display for anyone to see. The image of an anguished Samantha is not something I am accustomed to- she is permanently irritated most of the time. It is concerning definitely, but also disconcerting.

She looks at me quietly, with a distressed expression on her face.

"I'm not queen material, Hades," she says suddenly, staring off in the direction of the two guards of stone. Her voice doesn't come out sad, but there's something akin to disappointment in its sound. I approach her, attempting to bridge the distance between us.